Prestor's Talisman vs Tia's Grace

Prestor's Talisman vs Tia's Grace

Post 03 Jan 2011 23:32

Well, I was checking some EP values and I found that this two are just very close, whats your opinion about this ? Im actually using Prestor's Talisman + Fluid Death, but... Tia's Grace gives also 340 agi plus those mastery points wich are kinda cool to buff up envenom and poison damage...
So, what do you think is the better choice ?

Re: Prestor's Talisman vs Tia's Grace

Post 04 Jan 2011 13:51

It would probably be wise to consult the new spreadsheet about these kinds of things, as changing trinkets around may potentially increase the value of another due to changes in EP values. It can be found here: http://shadowcraft-test.appspot.com/. As far as I know it only works with Assassination at present.

Post 04 Jan 2011 22:46

User avatarSalmor

The thing is that you cant check seperate items AEP MAEP or any other kind of total stat that an item gives you... You need to calculate the changes made on your total gearset and that's why spreadsheets are usefull.
About which spreadsheet is the best for that use, well i can't answer that at the time being cause i havent used any spreadsheets so far in cataclysm.
What you could do is test the differences between trinket variations in the Boss dummy, but unfortunately thats kind of inaccurate too cause you cant use backstab(due to health%) so you wont get a full rotation+conditions dps.
So what you will do is test the trinket variations on an encounter that a rogue can dps all the time and use full cycles. That boss could be Argaloth in TolBarad ( still you need to be lucky and have the other group tanking the boss bellow 33% of life, thats after the last felfire )

Post 05 Jan 2011 00:16

You should search EJ for some answers, but I guess I could do it for you just this once.

The ep values for trinkets can be found in this post.
It lists prestor slightly above tia's grace but what it does not take into account is the fight specific factors like burst phases, movement or the duration of the fight. Proc trinkets gain decent advantages over static stacking trinkets when they proc during bloodlust or other cooldowns. They often also provide the same amount of stats than the stacking trinkets on average which means that there's a good chance that the fight ends at a point in time where the proc trinket is on cooldown and isn't about to proc again in a while thus providing a greater benefit than the static trinket.

For trinkets in general, Yurifei posted a trinket chart on the elitits jerks forums a while back. It and Aldriana's analysis on the chart can be found here. It's probably not 100% accurate, but a good outline.

As you can see, Key to the Endless Chamber exceeds all trinkets except heroic prestor's during the first 2 minutes and continues to steadily descend from there. Only at around 7 or so minutes do EoC372 and prestor 359 start to equalize with the key. This chart also ignores all other factors except time, which in reality amplifies the key proc even more. Think about fights like al'akir, maloriak, chimaeron or ascendant council. All of those have some kind of a burst phase where you need huge damage and other phases where your damage doesn't really matter all that much. Having a proc that gives 1710 agility for 15 seconds is just huge when compared to 2178 crit for 10s in those situations. I, for example, have the EoC372, but I'd rather wear the key instead and have damage where it matters in exchange for a slightly worse overall dps. I feel that the devs kinda failed the agility trinket design when they decided not to have any of them actually proc agility and gave us something gimmicky like unheeded warning which ended up being worse than all blue trinkets for all classes.

Post 05 Jan 2011 19:47

Thanks for all the answers :). Well, I've checked the Ep values of the Assassination guide, and I did know that Prestor's individually was a bit better than Tia's Grace, but I had some doubts at the impact on my total gear stats... Well, Dahi, you have discovered to me things that I haven't checked before, and I'm reading right now, so thanks for the help given, and also thanks for that spreadsheet that I did not know.
PS: Excuse my english