Retribution Trinket & Double DoT (Iiris)

Retribution Trinket & Double DoT (Iiris)

Post 15 Apr 2011 21:31

Greetings, Iiris! First of all, I'd like to thank you for all your replies on this forum and helping other players out. This post is a bit long so bear with me >.<

1) Recently I've acquired the H HoR to replace DMC: H, my other trinket is LtS. After searching for a while I've gathered that the 3 choices I listed are about equal, and it's mainly up to personal preferences and/or the encounter. Did three 10-minute tests each with and without the H HoR. My dps with DMC: H was about 1k+ higher each and every time. Granted I'm having a bit of bad luck with the HoR proc and timing my CDs. Sometimes it takes upwards of 30 seconds or more for it to proc, and I'm left starving myself :(

Any tips on how best utilize H HoR and ideas on trinket swapping depending on the fight (with reforging) would be amazing.

2)Jealous of the warlocks and spriest multi dotting (LOL) I decided to do some of my own. I had the off-dragon on focus and /castfocus macro'd my judgement. Each time the dragon switched I would change the focus to the one that would be flying in the air. This way I was able to keep up Censure on both dragons at all times. When the fight was over, Censure was my #1 damaging ability at nearly 14%, and my dps was 20k. (I was able to stay on dragons all fight, had 2 rogues in twilight zone)

I tried this method on various fights:
Magmaw: Focus judgement on magmaw while on bone constructs. Worked well as adds took longer than 15 seconds to down most of the time. Default stack reset every head phase.
Maloriak: Focus judgement on maloriak while on black phase adds, stacks reset when adds were kited out of mal's range.
Cho'gal: Focus judgement on Chogal while on corrupting adherents. Same as Magmaw, adds took 15~ seconds to down, except stacks never dropped on Chogal. Worked great.
Council: Focus judgement swapped from Terrestra and Arion, much cluterfuck and fail since I suck at this fight. Worth mentioning Long Arm of the Law proc'd almost every time during Air/Earth, good for us :]

What are your thoughts on the Ret 'double dotting'? I've never heard of someone doing this before, and wanted to share as well as get some input from a top-end player. Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you soon!

Re: Retribution Trinket & Double DoT (Iiris)

Post 16 Apr 2011 18:23

User avatarIiris

Hello TrophyKing

H HoR vs DMC:H

Doing dummy tests is pretty much useless since the items scale differently with other raid buffs in this case HoR's strength proc scales much more with other offensive stats that you get from raid buffs meanwhile DMC:H only gets bonuses from magic damage taken debuff.

When I raided with DMC:H in the new patch its proc accounted around 1.5% of my dps which is around 360dps if you use 24k as average while H HoR proc can be seen as 1/5*2178str=435str so around 950 dps only from the proc, add in possible gains from syncing cds and other procs and it's even more. And the passive bonuses 321str from DMC is about 700dps and H HoR's expertise is 363*0.4 = 145 reforged to mastery which is around 150dps + the remaining 218 expertise rating which is around 280dps if not over the cap, this is calculated with reforging to the best secondary non-capping stat because otherwise you could calculate every item with hit reforge (which is our best secondary stat) and make it look like better item. So overall DMC:H gives around 1060dps and H HoR 1380dps without taking into account any other raid buffs and syncing with em so I think it's safe to say H HoR beats DMC:H.

Everything is calculated with Redscape's spreadsheets stat values. http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t109229-redcapes_ret_dps_spreadsheet_5_18_4_06_ready_updated_03_17_a/

You get the most out of H HoR when you can get it synced with other procs/cooldowns like wings, str potion, bloodlust and so on. This isn't always easy and you shouldn't delay your cd usage too much because the trinket isn't procing when you want. I usually wait it only at the start since we have lots of agro problems anyway so it's not that bad to delay cooldowns at the start and wait for it to proc, ofc use your cooldowns if it seems like it isn't procing and there is 30sec left on bloodlust so you get max benefit from bloodlust+GoAK+wings. (GoAK always when there is 30sec or more left on bloodlust and wings when GoAK has been up 10sec)

I haven't thought about trinket swapping since we are just farming the content now but I don't think its necessary or beneficial since HoR is quite a bit better than DMC:H (3rd best trinket), maybe fights like wind council when there is lots of target swapping and the proc might go wasted because it went off right before you start running from target to other, but I wouldn't be bothered with it and it's pretty much all about luck =).

Multi DoTing

There was a topic about this before here (http://www.paragon.fi/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1867) where Zamien thought about the same thing and made some tests also. As you can see it might be small increase but I haven't bothered with it for now, maybe in our next progress raids if I see it necessary. Being always at range of your secondary target might be a problem alongside with pressing judgement every 15sec so it doesn't drop (yes, there are periods when you don't press it every 15sec).

Re: Retribution Trinket & Double DoT (Iiris)

Post 17 Apr 2011 22:32

Thank you very much for the reply, this really helps with my new trinket :D

I read the thread you linked and I agree with the points you and the OP made. Personally I think the censure double dotting is a dps increase, albeit a very small one in most fights where it can be utilized. It might be of use to people who are mainly trying to parse on the top 200 on fights like valiona, every little bit counts :P