Warlock discussion

Re: Warlock discussion

Post 14 May 2010 15:52

iShKafel wrote:@ Diivil

i was wondering what form of simulation do use to asses gear upgrades etc?

I have been using RAWR just to asses raw stat upgrades but as im sure your aware RAWR has not functioned as a good dps gauge for warlocks for ages.

ty in advance

I'm also testing out different types of simulation right now. I'd like to know what simulation you're using, especially for rdps demo.

ty for your answer in advance

Post 19 May 2010 16:27

A question to Tsukky.
Why are you socketing purple in your ring for a +5 SP bonus when you already meet the meta requirements? Doesn't make sense doing that without Demonic Aegis, especially when you haven't followed the same gemming philosophy in your gloves, weapon and bracers.

Thanks in advance for answers, cheers. :)

Post 22 May 2010 17:05

Hey,

I was informed about your guild from a great shadowpriest and close friend of mine.

I guess I'm pretty new to raiding (didn't do it in Vanilla or BC). I'm trying to help my guild progress through content, but am a little disappointed by my dps (and feel like I should be able to help them more by doing more dmg). I read through the entire warlock thread and it was really informative. You guys do really informative replies, so I thought I could throw out some initial questions and maybe come back when I have a WoL report.

So to give some background, I started on my lock at 70 in Wotlk about 2 months ago. I was destro during the whole heroics grind etc. I stayed destro for the first 2 weeks or so of raiding. Then I did a bunch of research about the different specs. I tried deep demo and it was tons of fun, but then I switched to affliction to help my guild's raid dps.

Now everywhere I read it says that affliction tops the meters and really dominates destro dps. But when I switched over I was a little disappointed with my dps output. (I pulled 7k in 10 VoA) but couldn't top 8k in 25 man icc!!! Furthermore, the destro lock in our guild was really crushing me on the meters??? These are a few things I have noted when reading posts and was hoping someone could explain them.

1.) Destro dps breaks down at high haste (I understand why). So Maybe Affliction isn't good until I have 900 or more haste?

2.) Our guild isn't as professional as others and one of our locks just started being deep demo (I know, we should be running with Dpact all the time). When he did, my dps climbed to 8.5k in ToC 25 (Anub, Jarax). So does Dpact really influence dps that much? (I was doing 7.7k in 25man icc with buff - toc doesn't have buff)

3.) In one of the earlier posts, someone replied playing affliction is "really tough" to play. Am I missing something - some high end "tricks of the trade" so to speak? Keeping up dots and SB in between (DS at 25%) doesn't seem that hard to me?

4.) I noticed the few logs that I've looked at that other peoples corruption dmg is far more than mine (I've only looked at recount lately when I've done test dummies - cause I just started reading this forum). By far more, I mean its a greater percentage of their dmg on each encounter.

5.) Since some of our guildies are the best, I often have to focus on the adds even in regular modes - do you guys have suggestions on how to maintain my dps in that kind of an encounter? I just started using a macro which allows me to maintain haunt on the Boss without switching targets so maybe that will help?

Anyways, if anyone can help with these first questions I'd really appreciate it. I'm kind of pulling my hair out trying to figure out this dps problem.

Armory:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Gleipnir

Thanks again!

Post 22 May 2010 23:15

I had a quick question for a paragon affliction warlock (probably Tsukky). Because you have a demo lock in your raid, the Improved Shadow Bolt Debuff is redundant (I believe). Would it be better to disregard the destruction tree and put 13 points into the Demonology tree to get the Demonic Aegis?

Or would this be bad because of the loss of the shadowbolt damage?

thank you in advance.

Post 23 May 2010 11:31

Hi,
A question for Paragon affliction warlocks.Is engineering better than tailoring?
Thanks!

Post 23 May 2010 22:58

EDIT:I've figured most of it out, sorry.
Last edited by Akeria on 26 May 2010 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

Post 24 May 2010 12:11

Hey guys, i wanna ask you for something.

1) What warlock spec is best for dps?

2) What warlock spec is best for PvP?

and if u can link me builds for that.

Post 24 May 2010 15:17

I posted some pve questions - but I thought I could answer this question about PvP. Although I'm not the best/most experienced pvp warlock by far, I want to try to contribute.

The 2 pvp specs available are destro and affliction. If you're curious about spec specifics and glyphs the two best warlocks on my server (and arguably in the entire Ruin BG) are Bandijr and Imbad. Sometimes they have a pve spec (for the occasional raid). (Server - Magtheridon, U.S.)

My experience: Which one you choose depends on your teams and your partners. I'm currently messing around in 2's with a great shadowpriest friend of mine so I use affliction. I believe destro is less viable in 2s but potentially more viable in 3s and 5s depending on the comp (there are however 3s comps that use affliction warlocks).

There is also a gear component - affliction+healer will be slightly more durable than destro+healer at low gear/experience levels (you have to really be familiar with your portals, stuns and fears as destro). Finally, as I hinted to above, destro requires more experience to play at higher levels - you often see experienced warlocks with destro pvp builds (imbad and bandijr) - but both of these guys are incredibly good.

If you're gonna do BGs, destro is fine - and a bit more fun. Even a well geared affliction warlock is less effective at quick finishes (its more of a cc+outlast build). And nether proc's are great for going head to head with 2 or more casters of the same magic school.

Hope this helps a bit.

Post 26 May 2010 07:57

User avatarJubeto

warlockdave wrote:
1.) Destro dps breaks down at high haste (I understand why). So Maybe Affliction isn't good until I have 900 or more haste?

2.) Our guild isn't as professional as others and one of our locks just started being deep demo (I know, we should be running with Dpact all the time). When he did, my dps climbed to 8.5k in ToC 25 (Anub, Jarax). So does Dpact really influence dps that much? (I was doing 7.7k in 25man icc with buff - toc doesn't have buff)

3.) In one of the earlier posts, someone replied playing affliction is "really tough" to play. Am I missing something - some high end "tricks of the trade" so to speak? Keeping up dots and SB in between (DS at 25%) doesn't seem that hard to me?

4.) I noticed the few logs that I've looked at that other peoples corruption dmg is far more than mine (I've only looked at recount lately when I've done test dummies - cause I just started reading this forum). By far more, I mean its a greater percentage of their dmg on each encounter.

5.) Since some of our guildies are the best, I often have to focus on the adds even in regular modes - do you guys have suggestions on how to maintain my dps in that kind of an encounter? I just started using a macro which allows me to maintain haunt on the Boss without switching targets so maybe that will help?

1) Affliction should do about the same dps on single target with your gear level, I'd suggest to go with affli because it has better aoe damage and You can dot multiple targets (2 or 3 if there is more just spam seed) like on putri HC, keep dots rolling on the boss while you nuke the slime for example. Also moving hurts desto dps way more than affliction's.

2) Extra 400+ Spell Power for raid is a massive dps gain and You should always try to get that if possible.

3) Its not Though but it takes some practice. I'm not using tricks myself, but you can track some damage % modifier buffs like the one provided by tier 10 and roll your corruption with that, you should notice a major dps increase. You can read about it more from here: http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t37900-dots ... _Modifiers

4) See above

5) Tracking Your targets and Focus target's debuffs at the same time allows you to keep dots rolling on both targets, resulting in massive dps.
Last edited by Jubeto on 26 May 2010 08:56, edited 1 time in total.

Goddamn, this fissure skill is inaccurate.

Post 26 May 2010 08:01

User avatarJubeto

Centripeto wrote:Hi,
A question for Paragon affliction warlocks.Is engineering better than tailoring?
Thanks!

I think tailoring is the second best profession after engineering, but if You use engineering You should learn how to use your rocket boots and saronite bombs properly.

Goddamn, this fissure skill is inaccurate.