Mage discussion

Mage discussion

Post 09 Mar 2010 15:32

Welcome to the Mage thread!

Feel free to ask questions related to Mages in this thread. Please do use the search function and see if the question has already been asked first, though. When asking for dps help, please post link to your armory profile - for best results posting WoL/WMO/WWS link will also help.

Question for Cevius(fire)

Post 09 Mar 2010 15:32

What fights in ICC10/25 are you running your fire build.

How is its damage comparable to your Arcane build on those same fights or Baltha's Dmg.

Have you tested your fire and arcane builds on the PTR yet, if so how do the numbers looking for a possible switch for mages to fire now with the IA change(nerf).

Reasons are my 10s group main dps is myself (unholy DK) and a very good friend who plays an Arc mage. But we have maxed IA out to its advantage on every fight possible. But I've recently been looking at her to switch to fire. She actually is playing around with your exact build.

Re: Question for Cevius(fire)

Post 09 Mar 2010 20:35

User avatarcevius

Hi,

Actually the only boss that I play using fire spec is Lich King and thats because Arcane can't do anything to the spirits.

Fire just can't beat arcane until the patch comes :/

- Cevius

Post 09 Mar 2010 20:55

Celenta wrote:Hi,

Actually the only boss that I play using fire spec is Lich King and thats because Arcane can't do anything to the spirits.

Fire just can't beat arcane until the patch comes :/

- Cevius

Thanks for the quick response. Been noting some people putting up decent numbers on PP with fire currently. It was one fight we were thinking of having her switch for.

Are you thinking of switching to Fire when 3.3.3?

Post 10 Mar 2010 11:39

User avatarcevius

I will probably which to fire if the current PTR buffs/nerfs will go live.

Nerfs meaning:
Incanter's Absorption only procs from Mana Shield, Ice Barrier, Fire Ward and Frost Ward. <- Quite huge nerf to arcane spec because several bosses in ICC make raid wide damage.

Buffs meaning:
Combustion Cooldown reduced to 2 minutes.
Glyph of Fireball changed to 0.15s cast speed reduction.
Empowered Fire: This talent now also applies to Pyroblast damage.
Torment the Weak: This talent now also applies to Pyroblast damage.

Post 13 Mar 2010 04:45

Hi, I actually had a quick question.

With the future change to Glyph of Fireball going from + crit to a decrease in cast time, would it be better to then go FFB? Or are the future changes to TOTW and Empowered Fire make Fireball spec more sensible than FFB?

Also, do you use a particular theroycrafting site? If so could you provide a link? I could never find a decent one online :) Thanks!

Post 14 Mar 2010 00:53

Change in the fireball glyph is actually a very minor buff.

Even though crit rating will have more value than haste in 3.3.3, it's not the same case with this glyph. Normally crit rating has more value cause it affects all your spells, haste in the other hand will be most likely capped for LB and Pyro and thus will only affect your fireball.

Since the glyph only affects fireball, normal stat values are bshit. In this case 5% more casts in X amount of time comes on top of 5% crit on a spell that allready has a very high crit percentage.

On top of this, the haste buff you get might result in getting extra fireball cast with 'pushing the limit' buff...

And to your question :>...With FFB being behind ToTW fire atm and ToTW buff only affecting fireball-spec (+ the very minor glyph buff!). It's kinda obvius that ToTW fire comes quite a bit on top of FFB in 3.3.3.

Re: Mage discussion

Post 17 Mar 2010 16:34

Hi

I'm a semi serious mage raiding ICC 25 (9/12, only got putri + bql last week) and i have a question about haste.

back in ToC i kinda went a bit haste crazy, put all haste gems in ended up around 1.3k haste, it was kinda an experiment but my dps didn't change much. Now in ICC i've bumped back to SP in red, SP/Haste in yellow and 2x sp/spr for the meta.

What i was wondering is whether you had found some kind of Haste "sweet spot"? Atm i have my IV macro'd into my spam button (i know, i shouldn't but i was raid leading for a while and kept forgetting to use it, now i'm too used to having it in the macro :-D) but during BL i'm not capping out yet.

Any tips on what to aim for or any slight adjustments to mygear/specc etc are welcome too.

Cheers
Pluresalicia
<Dagon Roots> of Bloodscalp-EU

Post 24 Mar 2010 17:47

Hey Paragon mages! Hope you don't mind answering a little question for me.
I'm an arcane mage, and my gear is also arcane - with little hit, lots of haste and not so much crit. This leaves me with 940 haste, 3k spell power and 30% unbuffed crit when I switch to my fire specc.

Now I'm wondering, with the fire buffs and slight arcane nerf, I might want to try fire again. But is my gear suitable for fire? Is 30% unbuffed crit enough to push decent dps in that specc? If not, could you tell me how much to aim for? Thanks, and good luck with Lich King 25HC!

Post 24 Mar 2010 22:39

If both your hit and crit is low, you should just stick with arcane...And anyways even if you get better gear for fire, arcane is still on top for allmost every boss.