Small guide for demonology warlocks (updated for 3.3.3)

Re: Small guide for demonology warlocks (updated for 3.3.3)

Post 28 Mar 2010 08:36

I have added this part to the guide, pretty simple thing but worth mentioning I guess.

Also every time you use something that increases your SP (blood fury, wild magic potion, whatever trinket you might have), make sure the effect lasts until next application of demonic pact.

I have setup my needtoknow to show internal CD of demonic pact like this:

Choose buff/debuff to time: demonic pact
Bar type: internal cooldown
Internal cooldown settings: cooldown duration 20
Last edited by Diivil on 28 Mar 2010 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post 28 Mar 2010 12:51

Hey Diivil :) got a Question for the FPS fine tuning.

you said if you got no High End PC turn all effects Low :)

i have @25 raids like 17-25 fps...

My PC.
4x3.2GhZ Intel Quad
4GB 1066 RAM
DFI LP DK 45 TRS2+
GTX 280 XXX EDITION
1 TB Spinpoint F1

I can play Crysis or any other game in Ultra.

WoW pisses me off @ frames ^^
I unCHECKED reduce inputlag and set Nvidia from Quality -> Performance.

now i have in Dala 60+ Frames.

i need to test it @raids 25. if its still low i need to turn "ALL" effects low? ^^
i only have shadow on low cause i dont care shadows.^^

i think its a proper Engine problem :) @WoW like 3x Death and Decay cause bad fps.

what u think?

thx for any help bro.

Post 28 Mar 2010 13:21

ComeGetSome wrote:I unCHECKED reduce inputlag and set Nvidia from Quality -> Performance.

This is by far the most important thing for anyone with nVidia graphics card.

Post 28 Mar 2010 13:24

yep changes were like WTF :D n1

but this pc should be high end? ^^ or atleast good...

dont want to raid with all low -.- lol

Post 30 Mar 2010 10:59

Hi Diivil I'm a demonology lock too and I'm a bit confused about rdps , pdps demo gearing style.
I'm quite ofen checkin' Your armory and I know You go in mass spirit for demonic pact etc.
My question is hmn is it worth of it ? I mean :

rdps - http://www.wowhead.com/?profile=20694672

pdps - http://www.wowhead.com/?profile=20983242

Diffrence is about 651 spirit ( 253.89 sp -/+ ) in rdps spec for 351 sp more in pdps + 6 % + crit + 284 haste.
I know that this 253 sp will be ,, doubled '' with glyph but still is it worth of it ? I guess yes cause You play that way lol but I would like to hear Your personal opinion about it ;)
I read ej etc. In newest simulationcraft I didint notice the pdps numbers compared to rdps, so I'm just curious.
Thanks for Your time and big gratz on World First and Archus ;)

P.S.
My armory if something ;p http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... n=Grompher

Post 30 Mar 2010 21:54

Gromph wrote:Hi Diivil I'm a demonology lock too and I'm a bit confused about rdps , pdps demo gearing style.
I'm quite ofen checkin' Your armory and I know You go in mass spirit for demonic pact etc.
My question is hmn is it worth of it ? I mean :

rdps - http://www.wowhead.com/?profile=20694672

pdps - http://www.wowhead.com/?profile=20983242

Diffrence is about 651 spirit ( 253.89 sp -/+ ) in rdps spec for 351 sp more in pdps + 6 % + crit + 284 haste.
I know that this 253 sp will be ,, doubled '' with glyph but still is it worth of it ? I guess yes cause You play that way lol but I would like to hear Your personal opinion about it ;)
I read ej etc. In newest simulationcraft I didint notice the pdps numbers compared to rdps, so I'm just curious.

You have to calculate the rDPS gains yourself. I think someone calculated in EJ that the average caster gains 1.5 dps / 1 spell power and that's what I'm using.

Simplified example:
Your pDPS profile does 100 DPS

Your rDPS profile does 90 DPS but has 100 SP more
You have 7 casters in your raid, including yourself
7*1,5*100*,1 = 105 DPS
(number of casters * DPS for every 1 SP the casters get * SP gain from demonic pact)
rDPS profile would yield more DPS in this example.

(You can see how much buffed spell power you have from simulation craft results)

1.5 dps / 1 spell power might not be entirely accurate but it should give you good enough idea. The exact thing to do would be to calculate how much DPS everyone in your raid gains from 1 SP and then use the avarage of those numbers but that's just too much work and still wouldn't be accurate because the people in your raid change.

Post 01 Apr 2010 03:28

Hi divil, I'm currently trying out demonology spec, and was wondering, should I get the four piece T9 bonus, and ignore my T10 two piece bonus, by replacing my sanctified T10 gloves and my Skyweaver robes, with Tier 9 chest and tier 9 gloves, gemmed exactly the same?
MY armory link is posted below

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Jubei'Thos&cn=Chaszraa

Post 02 Apr 2010 00:03

Hey Diivil, had a question concerning stone choice as a Demonology lock.
Why would the Spellstone be a more viable choice over the Firestone?
I would personally think with most of the damage coming from Shadowbolt (and eventually Soulfire) the 1% extra damage and 196 extra crit rating would be much more worthwhile. Personally with my setup, I've noticed the firestone outweighing the spellstone on several fights that I've tested it on
I haven't dug deep into the math, but noticed that with the firestone, my spell crit is ~45% with about 24% haste with my "self buffs" (Felguard out, Fel Armor, and Firestone on). With Immolate now having the ability to crit during it's ticks (I would assume about every other tick raid buffed), and the "filler" of shadowbolt, soulfire, and incinerate, it just seems that the crit would outway the periodic damage boost and haste boost provided from the spellstone.
I would love to hear your take on this, but I realize that you're a very busy person :]
please take your time and I look forward to hearing from you!

Post 02 Apr 2010 06:08

backspacer wrote:Hey Diivil, had a question concerning stone choice as a Demonology lock.
Why would the Spellstone be a more viable choice over the Firestone?
I would personally think with most of the damage coming from Shadowbolt (and eventually Soulfire) the 1% extra damage and 196 extra crit rating would be much more worthwhile. Personally with my setup, I've noticed the firestone outweighing the spellstone on several fights that I've tested it on
I haven't dug deep into the math, but noticed that with the firestone, my spell crit is ~45% with about 24% haste with my "self buffs" (Felguard out, Fel Armor, and Firestone on). With Immolate now having the ability to crit during it's ticks (I would assume about every other tick raid buffed), and the "filler" of shadowbolt, soulfire, and incinerate, it just seems that the crit would outway the periodic damage boost and haste boost provided from the spellstone.
I would love to hear your take on this, but I realize that you're a very busy person :]
please take your time and I look forward to hearing from you!

According to simulationcraft, spellstone is 160 DPS better than firestone with my current gear. The simple reason is that it gives absolutely massive amount of haste which is much better than the crit from firestone.

Post 02 Apr 2010 06:12

chaszraa wrote:Hi divil, I'm currently trying out demonology spec, and was wondering, should I get the four piece T9 bonus, and ignore my T10 two piece bonus, by replacing my sanctified T10 gloves and my Skyweaver robes, with Tier 9 chest and tier 9 gloves, gemmed exactly the same?
MY armory link is posted below

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Jubei'Thos&cn=Chaszraa

Get simulationcraft. Set both of those profiles up in wowhead, import and simulate.

Then refer to post above yours to make evaluate the results (pDPS gains/loss against rPDS gain/loss).