Small guide for demonology warlocks (updated for 3.3.3)

Re: Small guide for demonology warlocks (updated for 3.3.3)

Post 02 Apr 2010 13:56

Diivil wrote:
backspacer wrote:Hey Diivil, had a question concerning stone choice as a Demonology lock.
Why would the Spellstone be a more viable choice over the Firestone?
I would personally think with most of the damage coming from Shadowbolt (and eventually Soulfire) the 1% extra damage and 196 extra crit rating would be much more worthwhile. Personally with my setup, I've noticed the firestone outweighing the spellstone on several fights that I've tested it on
I haven't dug deep into the math, but noticed that with the firestone, my spell crit is ~45% with about 24% haste with my "self buffs" (Felguard out, Fel Armor, and Firestone on). With Immolate now having the ability to crit during it's ticks (I would assume about every other tick raid buffed), and the "filler" of shadowbolt, soulfire, and incinerate, it just seems that the crit would outway the periodic damage boost and haste boost provided from the spellstone.
I would love to hear your take on this, but I realize that you're a very busy person :]
please take your time and I look forward to hearing from you!

According to simulationcraft, spellstone is 160 DPS better than firestone with my current gear. The simple reason is that it gives absolutely massive amount of haste which is much better than the crit from firestone.

I'll have to play around with it a little more or get simulationcraft up and running for my current setup. thanks for the quick reply!

Post 04 Apr 2010 14:37

Hey Diivil, I have a little idea I'd like you to consider. I noticed my Felguard runs oom after about 4-5mins, which makes him cleave a lot less when oom. Without Cleave the dps of the Felguard drops quite a lot and Demonic Pact has a higher chance of dropping without cleave crits. I realized that I can fix this without any dps loss on my part, by taking 1 point out of Master Summoner and putting it in Mana Feed. This makes your summon to be a 2sec cast. This doesn't matter much when out of combat, but while in combat my pet doesn't ever really die (at least not in icc), and if he dies, I only lose one extra second summoning him.

Post 09 Apr 2010 06:17

Hi Diivil, I've recently respecced to affliction and have a question - if i get T10 4p proc should i reapply corruption to make it do 10% more damage?
Thanks in advance.
Sorry for posting it in the wrong place :(

Post 09 Apr 2010 13:22

Kami wrote:Hi Diivil, I've recently respecced to affliction and have a question - if i get T10 4p proc should i reapply corruption to make it do 10% more damage?
Thanks in advance.
Sorry for posting it in the wrong place :(

Yes if the first corruption wasn't cast with any +%dmg or +%crit buffs like nevermelting ice crystal and you are going to be able to keep it up for some time.

I don't play affliction or have much experience with it since the ICC patch but generally for a long fights you probably want to try cast corruption with 4T10 proc and Nevermelting use effect on if possible. Might be hard to pull off though.

Post 09 Apr 2010 17:19

l
Last edited by Bigz on 30 Jul 2010 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

Post 13 Apr 2010 09:36

Bigz wrote:Hey Diivil! Gtz on LK25 hc :)

I wonder if you could please check if I've done everthing properly with my gear and such.
I don't seem to pull as DPS as I expected even if I focus 100%. :\

Thx in advance :)

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... &cn=Biggyh

Use 23 sp in red socket ( chest ) change Your trinkets, wand, herbalism and spec (27/44 is hmn I dont really know what is that ;p ) in pure demo get more haste than crit on items I think.

Post 14 Apr 2010 14:42

Hi, devil.
i have a question.
About that Image you uplaoded.
how do you get that buff, (life tap, demo pact.. ) under your Unit.

Post 15 Apr 2010 17:16

Hello Diivil.

I've got a warlock applying to my guild and he's using Glyph of Metamorphosis / Glyph of Quick Decay and Glyph of Life Tap.(not he doesn't use Felguard glyph...)

And when I thought about it, having 258 spirit would give the raid about 5 more spellpower with glyph of life tap.

So my question is. Wouldn't it be more useful to use Glyph of Metamorphosis/Glyph of Felguard and Glyph of Quick Decay. I mean 5 more spellpower to the raid over how much DPS from the felguard?

What do you reckon would be the best setup? As I personally would use the Meta/Felguard/Q Decay glyphs if I was that low on spirit.

Post 15 Apr 2010 18:06

If he has only 258 spirit, i don't think he is collecting spirit gear, though he is focussed on pDps and not rDps, and that is not very helpful for the raid. He should collect as much spirit as he can get to push the SP he gives to the raid.
If he has only 258 Spirit he is not yet the right warlock to play demonology and I think that someone with more spirit should take his role until he has enough gear...

Post 19 Apr 2010 15:24

Hi Diivil,

I got a general Question about Dots and when to use, while Wildmagic is on. As I understand it the spelldmg is calculated at the time the spell hits right? If so for a shadowbolt it is clear, but what about dots? Is the dmg calculated once or at every tick? If it is calculated at the time the dot hits, would it make more sence to start spamming soulfire and then in the last 2 sec, when you can not land an sucessfull Soulfire (due to fly time) to use Immolate and Corruption so you have for both the max benifit from the Potion?

Last Question I checked some of your log on WOW Meters and you arent using the melee abilities from Demonicform at all. Is it a dps loss and you should not even bother to use it? Atm i set my Portal at boss to port there when in Demonic to use the abilities.

Thank you a lot in advance for your help on this.

Snorre