Small guide for demonology warlocks (updated for 3.3.3)

Re: Small guide for demonology warlocks (updated for 3.3.3)

Post 21 Apr 2010 14:25

Snorre wrote:Hi Diivil,

I got a general Question about Dots and when to use, while Wildmagic is on. As I understand it the spelldmg is calculated at the time the spell hits right? If so for a shadowbolt it is clear, but what about dots? Is the dmg calculated once or at every tick? If it is calculated at the time the dot hits, would it make more sence to start spamming soulfire and then in the last 2 sec, when you can not land an sucessfull Soulfire (due to fly time) to use Immolate and Corruption so you have for both the max benifit from the Potion?

Spell damage is calculated when you finish casting. Same for dots, it will use the amount of spell power you had when you casted it.

You should always keep immolate up. Probably corruption too eventhough if it doesn't proc molten core, it will end up being a dps loss but I do it anyway.

Snorre wrote:Last Question I checked some of your log on WOW Meters and you arent using the melee abilities from Demonicform at all. Is it a dps loss and you should not even bother to use it? Atm i set my Portal at boss to port there when in Demonic to use the abilities.

It would be a DPS gain if you can get the melee abilities to fire in between casts while not losing any cast time. From my experience that doesn't happen.

Post 22 Apr 2010 19:44

Hi

I have a question about trinkets for max raid dps. As the first trinket Muradin seem to be the obvious choice, however I'm wondering about that second one. I see that you are using Reign hc atm, I've seen EJ stating that Dislodged hc is the one to go. I wonder though, how would the good old Illustration of the Dragon Soul be?

I did some fast math on Illustration compared to Reign on numbers you've used in this topic, and reigns numbers from a Festergut fight in your logs.

If those 1.5dps/1sp per caster dps in raid is correct, the extra SP from Illustration would give the raid an extra of:
200-168=32 extra sp
32*1,5=48 extra dps per caster
We normally run with 8 caster dps in our raids so:
48*8=384 extra raid dps

On your Festergut kill your reign did 74656 damage on a 3:37 long fight. That equals to:
74656/217=344 dps

Would you agree on that with a more caster heavy setup it will be a better option using Illustration?

And would it be worthwhile even loosing some potentional dps if running with a less caster heavy setup, for example your 6 casters on that festergut kill, just for more reliability (static SP vs crit procc) and that healers aswell gain from the SP?

Thanks for your thoughts and inputs =)

Post 22 Apr 2010 20:07

gnuik wrote:
If those 1.5dps/1sp per caster dps in raid is correct, the extra SP from Illustration would give the raid an extra of:
200-168=32 extra sp
32*1,5=48 extra dps per caster

You gain 32 extra SP, your casters in the raid will only gain 10% of that.

Post 03 May 2010 13:18

Activate immolation with 4t10 set bonus on.

Would I want to clip Immolate?

Post 03 May 2010 19:07

Hello Diivil,

I have a quick question,whats the reason of using Reign of dead hc instead of DFO hc?

Post 03 May 2010 19:27

User avatarxenophics

I can answer for Diivil:

Have had 1 dropping so far.

Post 03 May 2010 23:38

User avatararx

bis 0 - reality 1

arx / xaar

Post 06 May 2010 11:42

Hey, I Suck at this Math Crap so I'm unsure of what weapon(s) to use that will increase both raid and personal dps.

Either Heroic Dying Light or Heroic Bonespike + Normal Sundial of the Eternal Dusk?

Or neither.. Wtb expert opinion QQ :(

Thanks.

Post 11 May 2010 21:38

Hey Diivil,

A quick question for you, if you have time.

I was under the impression that socketing for bonuses should only occur if the socket equates to a > +5sp bonus. I followed this guideline for a long time, and I saw many top warlocks followed it as well. However, within the past few weeks, it seems most locks are now socketing FOR the +5sp bonuses, even using Purified Dreadstones to do so. Why is this occurring? Seems illogical, but maybe you can help me understand if something changed (or will be changing soon) to make this valid (also note that I have seen all three spec locks doing this, not just Demo).

Post 12 May 2010 17:46

Hi Diivil,

Just a little question about trinkets, which trinket should i take as Demo if i have Spyglass hc, DFO and Reign of the Dead?