Dot Refreshing

Dot Refreshing

Post 10 Nov 2010 03:01

User avatarloliqt

So I have not been playing a shadow priest for very long, But I think I am doing rather well. But I have a question about a certain scenario.

Say your Dots have about half or so of their duration left and you have had your trinket procs up for about 8 seconds. So they are about to run out, Is it worth it to reapply your dots in order to keep them ticking with that additional spell power?

Any help on this topic would be appreciated, Thank you in advance.

Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/m ... olihealer/

Re: Dot Refreshing

Post 10 Nov 2010 07:51

hee mate,

Im totally not pro, but i heard since the patch (4.0) the spellpower (trinket proc for that matter) is added to your excisting dot automatically. So no need for refreshing.
Also you need to actually clip your dots i heard.

Post 10 Nov 2010 19:07

User avatarloliqt

I know that's how it use to be pre 4.0 but I still think it is that way. I could be wrong, although I'm fairly sure they would not change a core mechanic like that.

Post 10 Nov 2010 19:33

User avatarHermanni

loliqt wrote:I know that's how it use to be pre 4.0 but I still think it is that way. I could be wrong, although I'm fairly sure they would not change a core mechanic like that.

Why would they fix the game between expansions...?

No, it's not like that any more.

Post 10 Nov 2010 19:57

User avatarloliqt

So does that mean it would be viable to reapply dots whit trinkets up?

Post 11 Nov 2010 08:22

User avatarHermanni

Sorry, I misunderstood you were talking about dots that are refreshed through talent mechanics, not the "traditional" way. As far as I am aware "rolling" dots should be completely fixed, at least according to Blizzard. Normally dots still only check your stats when you cast them.

Generally though, clipping your dots when they're ~halfway done isn't a good idea. You can, however, clip them before the last tick.
Last edited by Hermanni on 11 Nov 2010 09:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Nov 2010 08:35

User avatarloliqt

Ok, thank you for the advice. I'll have to try and work my DPS out a bit better. If I could get some logs would it be possible to get some advice on how I can improve?

Post 12 Nov 2010 12:43

User avataropex

Hermanni wrote:... You can, however, clip them before the last tick.

And in theory this is the right way to be after 4.0. As well as MF, which is considered a 'channeled dot' so even of you clip the last tick casting new MF you dont lose it. If you clip MF to cast other spell tho you still lose the remaining tick(s).

Post 13 Nov 2010 09:00

User avatarloliqt

I did a rather long test on the dummy today, and what I would do is if the dots hand half or less of there duration left I would just clip it, But only if I had a spell power trinket up or the engineering gloves up with 2-3 seconds left on the buffs duration. This did end up being a rather large amount more DPS. I'm sure I could have also messed up at some points and not done it correctly because I tried to re up them with the least amount of time left on the trinkets' buff. I know dummies are not the most accurate way to scale DPS, but I had no raids going on in which to test this, so.... this was the next best. I also give the stat the scales my Dots the most, 5% haste.