Shadow raiding

Shadow raiding

Post 27 Dec 2010 16:27

Hello there!

I am making this topic because I got to the point where my desperation forces me to ask other and even more experienced raiders about shadow DPS. I have tried to find my answers elsewhere but besides the large number of "qq" posts and threads that state the obvious I could not find anything useful.

I am a shadowpriest with starting raidgear ( means full heroic and reputation items with an addition of one epic shoulder from Atramedes ) I do not think I am going to say anything new with stating my DPS is just not where it should be. Actually I am a raid leader but the leading never took so much effort to actually bring my DPS down to the bottom. Comparing with other classes it just does not feel right.

I am using all the consumables possible to keep up with the rest but if the raidsetup ( especially in 10 man ) does not favor me my DPS is embarassing. I do not want to waste your time with asking what to do for improving but asking if you feel shadow is actually valuable and can be worked out or your raiders are struggling with the same issues. Maybe if anyone could just write a wide range of dps output that a priest should do with my gear ( lets say its optimal ) would be nice but not that important.

Thank you very much in advance!

Re: Shadow raiding

Post 28 Dec 2010 11:28

User avatarxenophics

I'm the only shadow priest of the guild and I feel it's hard for me to keep up with the rest of the raid on single target fights. Also adds that die fast are a pain in the ass for a shadow priest. The optimum is 2-3 targets you can roll dots on.

One of the problems with checking who does what dps is that apparently recount/skada doesn't show shadowy apparitions right, as spriest already have one pet. Only the spriest herself has the meters right, so you should use those when comparing dps.

I can't say any range of dps what you should have on single target fights but with this gear I'm not even near 19-20k (where rest of the dps seems to be) with lust and all the potions if the fight lasts even a bit longer. I realize I might have a lot to improve but I still have a feeling spriest single target/aoe dps isn't quite where it should be. Feel free to disagree, feedback is welcome.

Post 29 Dec 2010 00:26

I totally agree with you. What you just said about the 2-3 mobs for rolling multiple dots I just said during one of our raids ... " I wish we had more encounters like this ( Twilight Council )" I mean even one extra add that does not die in 10 sec just gave a huge DPS boost.

Another thing:
We are progressing on Cho'gal 10 right now. On an avg try which usually ends around 8-9% I pull 11k DPS. Last time I got the new warlock buff with the 3% haste and stacking periodic damage increase and it went up to 13.5k. I was starting to think maybe haste and the extra spellpower from raid loot will fix it if not in this tier but the next. However I wanted to ask you who obviously have access to more loot than I do ( still sitting on 1 raid piece ) if you felt any significant DPS difference after you got your 2 set bonus and got some items.

I am wondering if Blizzard is planning to make shadowpriests like warriors so we will end up in the top when we reach our best in slot state ... the problem is since im very unlucky with the loot and the other shadowpriest has the same issues I cannot see these things clearly yet.

Post 29 Dec 2010 11:54

User avatarxenophics

The 2 piece set bonus wasn't that big of a boost, and the 4 piece bonus is kind of... well not _that_ great. But of course my dps has gone up with better gear. The only downside is that when we tested bosses in beta and everyone had full 25-man normal mode loot I couldn't keep up with others at all. Feels like spriests scale very bad with low level (early expansion) gear compared to other classes. Maybe tons of haste and crit will fix it in the future, we'll see.

Post 29 Dec 2010 13:06

Yea I think the haste will help us much but I do not think it will be the outbreak. Even with stacked evangelism and triggered empowerment I truly believe our dots just don't hurt as much as they should.

Anyway as far as I know Blizzard is working on or atleast "looking into" shadow DPS ( last post of Ghostwalker ). It worries me tho they said something like "shadow DPS might be a bit low but we will monitor it" Next content patch something is going to happen for sure so we can just hope for some good changes. ( hope they remove the RNG part ( proc ) of shadow orb mechanism for example )

Anyway thank you for the reply, I gladly would keep theory crafting with you but i guess you are busier than that ^^

Good luck with the progress and gogo take world first again!

Best Regards
Keytal - Stormscale