Shadowpriest related questions (cant find on sp.com)

Shadowpriest related questions (cant find on sp.com)

Post 20 Jan 2011 21:35

Hello, I got some questions that I cant really make out since the answares are up on SP.com but, they are all telling different stuff and Im not that big on guessing on whos right, so I decided to turn to the current champions, gz on that synestra kill :)

When I got the refreshall of SW:P from MF, doesn't it interuppt the ticks of SW:P at all? I cant really make it out on the dmg meter since Im no calculater etc but it takes a little time for the first tick to pop off and if I have a MF refresh on it every 0.5s I cant really see if it ticks or not. Cant figure out how to calculate it on dummies sadly.

Why are you and many other shadow priests using the stealh area belt enchant and not for example the nitro boost for escaping and stuff, now that it's even less risk of getting boosted up in the air. You could use the dmg cast on belt instead if you dont wanna risk it.

If I just gotta move out of a AoE spell of some sort, a fire if you will, and I only have to do 1 jump and my SW:D is on cooldown (Im low geared, means I have to use SWD quite much to keep my mana up or use my mana CDs well, but I learned I win more on doing SW:D) should I reset the DP and miss a tick or just jump as normal?

Last question, how much health on a mob would you suggest I attack with MSpike + MB? health/total dps'ers on it = answer
I go with 100k health or less, mindspikes :) Considering gear is quite low aswell.

Would apriciate if you could answer my questions and sorry I dont spell everything right and if my questions are formed wrong please tell :)
And u can just inv me to guild any day soon now take ur time np :)

Re: Shadowpriest related questions (cant find on sp.com)

Post 01 Feb 2011 13:01

User avatarxenophics

thriump wrote:When I got the refreshall of SW:P from MF, doesn't it interuppt the ticks of SW:P at all? I cant really make it out on the dmg meter since Im no calculater etc but it takes a little time for the first tick to pop off and if I have a MF refresh on it every 0.5s I cant really see if it ticks or not. Cant figure out how to calculate it on dummies sadly.

This is easy to test yourself. Go to the dummy throw in swp and start spamming mind flay. Put on your combat log and select "self". I tested these with /combatlog so I could see milliseconds as well.

I was spamming mind flay, and ticks happened at times:

16:28:50.460
16:28:52.828
16:28:55.210
16:28:57.528
16:28:59.977
16:29:02.190
16:29:04.563
16:29:06.927
16:29:09.210

Which means that the times between ticks were:

The variations should be caused by varying latency.

This means that mind flay doesn't interfere with swp ticks, it just refreshes the duration. This is why we should refresh dots before they fall off from target, aim for 100% dot uptime. Swp's first tick is always "late", because like vt, it doesn't tick immediately.

thriump wrote:Why are you and many other shadow priests using the stealh area belt enchant and not for example the nitro boost for escaping and stuff, now that it's even less risk of getting boosted up in the air. You could use the dmg cast on belt instead if you dont wanna risk it.

The reason is I've been lazy with engineering and this particular enchant. The possibility that it might fail really diminishes the awesomeness of it, so I could only use it on "now I'm going to die, period, but this might just save me and not wipe the whole raid" situations. There aren't that many of those.

thriump wrote:If I just gotta move out of a AoE spell of some sort, a fire if you will, and I only have to do 1 jump and my SW:D is on cooldown (Im low geared, means I have to use SWD quite much to keep my mana up or use my mana CDs well, but I learned I win more on doing SW:D) should I reset the DP and miss a tick or just jump as normal?

As already stated, you don't miss ticks, it only extends if you use DP. I always spam dp while I move as the first tick/application does more damage than the following ones. This means it's a dps gain compared to moving normally. If you have a lot of mana problems spamming dp might be a problem, so just try and see how it feels with your gear.

thriump wrote:Last question, how much health on a mob would you suggest I attack with MSpike + MB? health/total dps'ers on it = answer
I go with 100k health or less, mindspikes :) Considering gear is quite low aswell.

This is how I see the problem: if the mob dies in around 10 seconds or less I use ms+mb combo. You need to be able to evaluate the total dps your group does. That's why you shouldn't focus on the numbers, but rather how fast stuff dies. When it's obvious stuff dies before dots have time to tick try ms+mb or only throwing 1 dot to each mob and then mf+mb+swd till they die.

Re: Shadowpriest related questions (cant find on sp.com)

Post 15 Feb 2011 06:42

Thanks alot mate! This helped me quite much even tho I figured the SWP question out witch then unlocked the DP question :P Ive got quite alot of gear compared to before and I dont have any mana problems anymore so that settles quite alot for me :)
Also, don't know if fixed now, the Nitro boosts are gr8 for Atramedes since if your the one running from fire in airphase, you click you belt and you can run away and if you get shot up in the air, the fire will stay under you :D And someone can click the gong without problems when your nearly on the ground :P

Thanks again, also thanks for explaining quite simple so that I understand ;)