A few questions

A few questions

Post 18 May 2011 14:36

Jhazrun I've got a few questions.

1. Are surge of light and holy word: sanctuary still not viable even after so many improvements they've got? How would you change them to make them useful again? I personally think surge of light should also trigger instant & free GH and PoH with a slightly higher proc rate and sanctuary should tick slightly more or simply remove the diminishing return.

2. The following is what I think of the playstyle of discipline priests. It would be great to have you point out whether I'm thinking the right way or not.
I feel that the role of discipline in heroic 10 man and 25 man is rather different in the sense that in 25 man, my job is primarily to absorb as much dmg using shields as possible while other classes, e.g. holy pally and holy priests, who are more competent in healing up ppl, heal ppl up. On top of that, I can occasionally throw in a few heals when my AA is up. Since shielding is my main job, mastery is the way to go.
However in 10 man, there are only 3 healers and it would not be enough to solely depend on the other two healers to heal up the raid. Therefore, my job is a hybrid of helping the 2 other healers heal ppl up and shielding ppl up. Since haste is the most useful stat for heal throughput, I should reforge towards plenty of haste, with a slight focus on mastery.

3. WTB Jhazrun's PoV encounter videos. Like, just your PoV for the entire encounter. :D

4. What's that cartoon picture in your forum dp?

Thanks a lot!

Re: A few questions

Post 18 May 2011 21:04

User avatarJhazrun

Hello there, Adelee,

Adelee wrote:1. Are surge of light and holy word: sanctuary still not viable even after so many improvements they've got?

Surge of Light will never be anything more than a waste of talent points as long as its trigger chance remains at 6%.

HW:Sanctuary is a trap for inexperienced Priest healers who (understandably) trust one of the flashiest spells in the game to be actually worth casting (Cue 90% mistakenly defaulting to Holy for Chimaeron…). The high-profile "buffs" to its numbers and graphics only amplified the allure despite it still being no better off in terms of practical value.

Adelee wrote:2. I feel that the role of discipline in heroic 10 man and 25 man is rather different in the sense that in 25 man, my job is primarily to absorb as much dmg using shields as possible while other classes, e.g. holy pally and holy priests, who are more competent in healing up ppl, heal ppl up. On top of that, I can occasionally throw in a few heals when my AA is up. Since shielding is my main job, mastery is the way to go.

I don't personally distinguish between heals and absorbs. A consumed shield is a successful heal, and the hard numbers take it from there.
Your only task is healing, and for every situation you just pick the tool you expect to serve you best.

Adelee wrote:However in 10 man, there are only 3 healers and it would not be enough to solely depend on the other two healers to heal up the raid. Therefore, my job is a hybrid of helping the 2 other healers heal ppl up and shielding ppl up. Since haste is the most useful stat for heal throughput, I should reforge towards plenty of haste, with a slight focus on mastery.

Haste is indeed the preferred secondary stat of ten-man Discipline, though similarly to the above, it's not such because of perceived healer roles, but simply on grounds of the format's relatively restricted PW:S usage.

Adelee wrote:3. WTB Jhazrun's PoV encounter videos. Like, just your PoV for the entire encounter. :D

I'm working on bringing my hardware up to the level required for recording. My UI, though, is somewhat… eccentric.

Adelee wrote:4. What's that cartoon picture in your forum dp?

See for yourself. It's worth it.

Post 19 May 2011 07:08

User avatarxenophics

Jhazrun wrote:My UI, though, is somewhat… eccentric.

Like a paws.

Post 19 May 2011 13:41

User avatarJhazrun

Not anymore, it isn't! Now it's twice as cool and thrice as impractical!

Post 24 May 2011 13:06

Jhazrun wrote:HW:Sanctuary is a trap for inexperienced Priest healers who (understandably) trust one of the flashiest spells in the game to be actually worth casting (Cue 90% mistakenly defaulting to Holy for Chimaeron…).

Could you please explain a bit more why disc is such a good choice for Chimaeron? Does it have anything to do with 25 man and/or heroic, or is disc always the way to go?

The only things that I can think of in favor of disc, would be shielding the double strike and/or divine aegis + PW:B during system failure. This doesn't really seem like such a major advantage to me. Though i'm currently raiding 10-man normal, I might very well be unaware of some hard-mode spells that makes disc the better choice, or I've just missed some basic mechanic that I should be aware of. In either case, I would love to hear an explanation :).

Also, thanks a lot for being so active on the forums. I've really learned a lot from reading all your responses!

Post 24 May 2011 17:05

User avatarJhazrun

Saniera wrote:Could you please explain a bit more why disc is such a good choice for Chimaeron?

Atonement, Archangel, Barrier, and P3 Pain Suppression and PW:S are all exceptionally useful tools Holy has nothing comparable to, regardless of raid size or mode.

Post 29 May 2011 02:39

So, I Heal with two Holy Paladins in a ten man raid.

T_T

Would it still be wise to choose Discipline over Holy for the dastardly Nefarian?

Post 29 May 2011 14:06

User avatarJhazrun

Cyvus wrote:So, I Heal with two Holy Paladins in a ten man raid. Would it still be wise to choose Discipline over Holy for the dastardly Nefarian?

Without so much as a fleeting doubt.

Post 29 May 2011 18:44

Oh, thank you for clearing up my doubts.

Also, I just had a tiny nerdgasm.

:X

Post 29 May 2011 23:08

User avatarJhazrun

Cyvus wrote:Also, I just had a tiny nerdgasm.

What ever do you mean, darling?