Question about Atonement

Question about Atonement

Post 14 Jun 2011 15:43

First of all I'd like to say hi, I'm new to these forums, and I'm very impressed of your progression through world of warcraft. Also I'd like to mention that I could not find any easy-accessible information from you on my question, so if it's stated anywhere, feel free to remove this and hint me to where I should look!

(First I should mention that I almost exclusively play 10 man hcs as disc)
So, I've longed lived in the bubble thinking that atonement is an awful talent, but I've since done my homework and feel it does wonders. My question is how do you really use it to a maximum?
Do you at all use holy fire or just smite (due to ToT)?

Are you using any macros for smiting, e.g. macro focus, mouseover or just target? I'd really like to smooth my smiting up by not having to switch targets etc. And would very much love a neat macro for it.

Since I'm somewhat new to the whole atonement thing, how would you really prioritize your spells? I feel shielding and PoH are at the top, but how important is renew, PoM, penance etc. Are there any kind of priority to follow, or should you just try to keep everything on cd, throw in PoHs when needed and smite when you find space?

And lastly, a somewhat null or small question if you will, regarding Desperate Prayer, which I didn't specc into in my old specc, should I use it as a defensive CD on raid damage, use it on cooldown to save mana or save it until I really am in deep shit?

I'd like to state again, that if these questions are answered anywhere, I apologize and I'd read up on them where I can. On other notes, thanks for a great board, and keep up the good work!

Re: Question about Atonement

Post 14 Jun 2011 19:03

roxodon wrote:Are you using any macros for smiting, e.g. macro focus, mouseover or just target? I'd really like to smooth my smiting up by not having to switch targets etc. And would very much love a neat macro for it.

Hope you don't mind me answering this one... :)

The macro i've been using might not be the most optimal one, but I made this one a while back and it works for me. The macro will cast smite on your target if it is hostile, on your target's target if you are targeting a friendly unit. Pressing shift will make it cast holy fire instead (using the same targeting as described above). The macro's tooltip is set to holy fire for easy tracking of CD (since smite doesn't have a CD).
Code: Select all
#showtooltip Holy Fire
/cast [modifier, harm] [modifier, @targettarget, harm] Holy Fire; [harm] [@targettarget] Smite

Post 14 Jun 2011 20:02

User avatarJhazrun

roxodon wrote:Do you at all use holy fire or just smite (due to ToT)?

Holy Fire is amazing.

roxodon wrote:Are you using any macros for smiting, e.g. macro focus, mouseover or just target? I'd really like to smooth my smiting up by not having to switch targets etc. And would very much love a neat macro for it.

Wouldn't know about neatness. I just use "/cast [@focus] Smite".

roxodon wrote:Since I'm somewhat new to the whole atonement thing, how would you really prioritize your spells? I feel shielding and PoH are at the top, but how important is renew, PoM, penance etc.

For all intents and purposes, Renew and ProM don't exist for Discipline. Penance is just fine, of course.

roxodon wrote:Are there any kind of priority to follow, or should you just try to keep everything on cd, throw in PoHs when needed and smite when you find space?

Bothering with "priorities" just leaves one distracted. Healing's all about experience and comfort.

roxodon wrote:regarding Desperate Prayer, which I didn't specc into in my old specc, should I use it as a defensive CD on raid damage, use it on cooldown to save mana or save it until I really am in deep shit?

Euh… Maybe? I don't know. You'd probably be worse off trying to look for specific circumstances.

Post 14 Jun 2011 23:51

Thanks a lot for your answers. It's really appreciated!