Shadowpriest and Alys. Question for Xenophics

Shadowpriest and Alys. Question for Xenophics

Post 29 Sep 2011 22:41

Hello Xenophics,
i started to play shadow priest since our guild progress is close to be finished and my healing is not needed so much like before.
This night i was in Alys. fight for first time in the air. Tbh i fucked up only 8.6K dps. So i started reading lots of forums, watching movies at youtube and at the last calculating dmg by EXCELL.
Iam sure that you had same problem Mind Sear or Mind Fly in the air? I made lots of calculating and i didnt see any big diffrence like other guys saying at this Forum. When i readed more and more this forum i was more and more confused what to use then. Guild master saying go for mind sear after 25 stacks because of hight count of ticks. But i dont know? What about refresing PW:P? Empowered Shadow? Mind Blast?
I searched for WoL of you and found this WoL Is it really fight from air? i saw damage by actor 93.3% on alys but just for case.

And Could you please explain me why using Mind fly insted of Mind Sear?

Thanks for your time Xenophics and take care.

Re: Shadowpriest and Alys. Question for Xenophics

Post 30 Sep 2011 05:04

korshakov wrote:Hello Xenophics,
i started to play shadow priest since our guild progress is close to be finished and my healing is not needed so much like before.
This night i was in Alys. fight for first time in the air. Tbh i fucked up only 8.6K dps. So i started reading lots of forums, watching movies at youtube and at the last calculating dmg by EXCELL.
Iam sure that you had same problem Mind Sear or Mind Fly in the air? I made lots of calculating and i didnt see any big diffrence like other guys saying at this Forum. When i readed more and more this forum i was more and more confused what to use then. Guild master saying go for mind sear after 25 stacks because of hight count of ticks. But i dont know? What about refresing PW:P? Empowered Shadow? Mind Blast?
I searched for WoL of you and found this WoL Is it really fight from air? i saw damage by actor 93.3% on alys but just for case.

And Could you please explain me why using Mind fly insted of Mind Sear?

Thanks for your time Xenophics and take care.

You seriously asking this or just a troll??? And if u get 8.6k dps you dont have any fuc....g clue how to play SP reroll something else plz. Mind Sear..you got any idea what that spell do?? If you really have readed like u say...bleh..why i even bothered to answer...if you like reading go => http://shadowpriest.com/ and get back when u know something about ur class. Players like u makes me angry..must be hard to lvl ur char up to 85 or maybe someone else did if for u, who knows..

Post 30 Sep 2011 05:47

i hope for his sake his trolling xD
still lol

Post 30 Sep 2011 07:15

Timoxi wrote:You seriously asking this or just a troll??? And if u get 8.6k dps you dont have any fuc....g clue how to play SP reroll something else plz. Mind Sear..you got any idea what that spell do?? If you really have readed like u say...bleh..why i even bothered to answer...if you like reading go => http://shadowpriest.com/ and get back when u know something about ur class. Players like u makes me angry..must be hard to lvl ur char up to 85 or maybe someone else did if for u, who knows..

His concern might actually be valid. From the very website you linked, I quote:

shadowpriest.com wrote:Just spent whole evening harassing Excel to shed some light on the Mind Flay vs Mind Sear @Alysrazor burn phase topic and finally belive I have some solid numbers to share. Basically the question i'm trying to answer is "how much haste does it take for MS to outperform MF pure single target DPS wise".

Instead taking average damage numbers from logs I decided to do the math with damage formulas from here and 10000 spellpower. +- 1k spellpower only changes the result by 0,4% so gear differences are quite irrelevant. I'm ignoring all the other modifiers(mastery, crit damage, extra damage taken buff on Aly, etc) as they affect both spell the same way. Only things that make a difference between 2 spells are coefficients, base damage, evangelism, MF glyph, cast time and number of ticks. So these numbers don't have to look realistic, they represent ratios of those modifiers @10k sp.

MF tick damage: 187,1+0,288*10000*1,1(evangelism)*1,1(glyph) = 3671,9
MS tick damage: 217,4+0,2622*10000 = 2839,4

Full MF = 3*3671,9 = 11015,7 (equal to DPS of MF since you can cast 1 every sec)
Full MS = 5*2839,4 = 14197

DPS from both spells is equal when it takes 14197/11015,7 = 1,289 sec to cast 1 full Mind Sear. In order to get your MS cast time below 1,289 you need more than 288% haste, which is achivable on Alysrazor fight. So, it can be better single target spell than MF with enough haste, with following assumptions:
1) Evangelism nor SWP falls off - need to cast at least 1 MF every 17 sec.
2) Shadowfiend uptime does not suffer. Fiend benefits greatly from the crit buff and is worth keeping up.
3) 3 orbs proc within 6,5 sec from SW:P+"occasional" MF alone. Even when MB cast time is significantly below 1 GCD it has higher damage per execute time than MS/MF with at least 1 orb and should be used every cooldown.
4) Dark Archangel isn't available. When it's up it would take 362% haste (1,08 sec MS cast time) for MS to outperform MF.

If I'm mistaken somewhere feel free to point it out.

Post 30 Sep 2011 07:42

Just get someone else up and fly..while you train ur spells for dummy.

Post 30 Sep 2011 08:07

Timoxi wrote:should be able to do abit more..

Saying that to someone who just started playing shadow, then linking the rankings of the top shadow priests, most of whom have the legendary staff... does that actually help him improve any?

Post 30 Sep 2011 09:16

Timoxi wrote:Just get someone else up and fly..while you train ur spells for dummy.

told him allready how to improve his/her skills..

Post 30 Sep 2011 09:29

Well saying 8.6K dps was little strong miss writting.. Here is WoL when we did 10man normal for doing legendary quests. Combat log is for my totally first time in the air. In that try i tryed classic fight rotation for shadow priest on single target just for case what i did VT->SW:P->DP->Mind fly for archangel->archangel->shadowfiend(casting shadowcrawl aswell) Mind Blast with full stacks and then mind fly mind fly and and and mind fly until refreshing VT DP and again... Anyway You didn't understand what i wanted to write. Iam not asking how to play, iam asking what ppl think about Mind Fly and Mind Sear. For me its logical Mind fly. But still some forums talk about Mind Sear and these questions were never solved.

Post 30 Sep 2011 10:00

Mindflay