Priest discussion

Re: Priest discussion

Post 08 Apr 2010 19:49

That's very understandable if it comes to a point like that on Heroic Putricide/Sindragosa/ETC, almost every fight on heroic you have to move more so it's safe to assume you may need replenishment from a different class for the that short time.

Post 08 Apr 2010 20:15

Jhazrun & Zhinn,

I know you(Jhazrun) have Val'anyr and I'm not sure if Zhinn(didn't check the feats yet)does but are both choosing to use Heroic Trauma. What are your thoughts on Val vs. Trauma throughout Heroic ICC. Would you use Val'anyr still on any specific fights or all around go for the proc/higher sp of Trauma. Also do you feel the extra bubble from Val'anyr is a substantial plus(bring the hammer not the player) for Heroic LK?

Thanks!

Post 12 Apr 2010 16:20

User avatarJhazrun

Pardon the late reply, Colaisgoodlol, Ashylol, and Pheromone,

Colaisgoodlol wrote:For what bosses would you prefer disc or holy?
Our healing setup is - Priest/Pally/Shammy.

Paladin-Shaman is such a direct-heavy combination that the Priest is almost always better off as Holy, barring Deathbringer Saurfang and the Lich King himself.

Ashylol wrote:Why do you have two priests, one of which is 14/57 [Zhinn] and one that is 17/54 [Jhazrun] and why have you Zhinn opted to invest in gem bonuses while Jhazrun has chosen to go full SP?.

I have chosen to go all out haste in order to maximize as many renews in between POM and COH whilst the CD are ticking out on those two abilities.

The specs sport slight variance as I have little love for Prayer of Healing, myself, and as such prefer to spend said spell's points elsewhere.

My gems of choice are also wildly different due to the fact that I'm the primary Discipline Priest at the Lich King, and for that have squeezed out every single point of Power Word: Shield absorption to combat Infest.

Personally, I place relatively little value on Haste rating, as Renew is to me simply something secondary I weave in between my primary cooldowns of Circle of Healing and Prayer of Mending, and the latter two are blissfully ignorant of the caster's Haste. Spell Power, on the other hand, plays a part in everything you cast.

Pheromone wrote:What are your thoughts on Val vs. Trauma throughout Heroic ICC. Would you use Val'anyr still on any specific fights or all around go for the proc/higher sp of Trauma. Also do you feel the extra bubble from Val'anyr is a substantial plus(bring the hammer not the player) for Heroic LK?

Val'anyr's age is starting to show, and is quite brutally eclipsed by the Spell Power of the iLevel 277 weapons. I no longer wield it in any scenario after having got my hands on a Heroic Trauma, and the Lich King is likely among the most unfriendly encounter of all to the bearded legend.
Not only does the absorption component fail to contribute to cleansing Infest as Holy, but won't so much as show up in a Discipline one's Power Word: Shield blanketing.

Post 13 Apr 2010 16:41

To Jhazrun / Zhinn:

Hey guys. I would like to say that you two are perhaps the top two rated healing priests in wow at the moment, and watching you play from your respective POV's has given me some real insight into how priests in top guilds heal.

Gratz on the heroic LK 25 man kill. Must be insane healing the fight with 1 less healer, and heavier overall raid dmg to boot.

Would just love to ask jhazrun / Zhinn if its not too much trouble:

As a holy priest:

1) Is there any difference in the way you heal slow steady dmg fights (e.g. IC HM, BQ HM, Twin valks HM) ... versus say raid wide spikey dmg fights (e.g. Freya+3 , Algalon 25, kologorn) where the raid's health is effectively reduced by half immediately?

Do you still just use exclusively POM, COH with (renew + flash heal) as filler spells in both of these scenarios?

2) Also, what are your comments on pre-hotting renew as a holy priest? Do paragon's priests do it when dmg is to be expected (e.g. marrowgar's incoming bladestorm), or do you largely cast renew only when you see the person's health bar drops so that the maximum effect of the intial pre-heal from empowered renew can be realized?

3) Are there any situations left for which 3 stacks of serendipity + hasted POH remains viable? (Question directed at zhinn) Cause I noticed zhinn still specs for 3/3 serendipity while Jhazrun has said that he doesn't use hasted POH's at all now.

Post 13 Apr 2010 19:43

User avatarJhazrun

Thanks for your interest, zuff,

zuff wrote:1) Is there any difference in the way you heal slow steady dmg fights (e.g. IC HM, BQ HM, Twin valks HM) ... versus say raid wide spikey dmg fights (e.g. Freya+3 , Algalon 25, kologorn) where the raid's health is effectively reduced by half immediately?

Do you still just use exclusively POM, COH with (renew + flash heal) as filler spells in both of these scenarios?

You have the carriage before the horse there. What you're looking at is a major shift in encounter design itself that dramatically narrowed the viable parts of the toolbox.

Spells like Prayer of Healing and Flash Heal gather dust BECAUSE they abandoned Ulduar-style raid spikes in favor of arbitrary start-to-finish damage auras (I believe ICC houses half of the encounters with said mechanic in the entire history of the game. Why…!?).

As such, yes, there stands a difference, but one that rarely winds up relevant today.

zuff wrote:2) Also, what are your comments on pre-hotting renew as a holy priest? Do paragon's priests do it when dmg is to be expected (e.g. marrowgar's incoming bladestorm), or do you largely cast renew only when you see the person's health bar drops so that the maximum effect of the intial pre-heal from empowered renew can be realized?

With the way mana works there's little incentive ever to actually hold back a GCD. At times when everyone is stable I simply keep chaining Renew on targets that might find it useful before the end of the duration.

zuff wrote:3) Are there any situations left for which 3 stacks of serendipity + hasted POH remains viable?

Even if Prayer of Healing was to hold niche use, spending three deep talent points to get to waste three GCDs on null spells just to free up less than a second off another doesn't strike as an attractive trade to me.
Last edited by Jhazrun on 14 Apr 2010 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

Post 14 Apr 2010 19:39

@ Jhazrun

Ok so I was hoping you could possibly tell me what frost badge piece I should buy next.. I have been sitting here with 95 Frost badges waiting to blow them on something, but am torn between what to buy!

Hope you can help and do you suggest since I am the only Disc priest gemming full Spell Power... We are on Sindragosa working our way towards LK. We currently run with Holy Paladin, Resto Druid, and Disc Priest.. is that a pretty good setup for Sindragosa and LK?

Sry for all the questions, hope you can answer them..

My Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... s&cn=Zylix **I sold the t10 shadow piece back as I am getting rid of my shadow spec, hate dpsing!**

Post 14 Apr 2010 20:59

User avatarJhazrun

Greetings, Zylix,

Zylix wrote:@ JhazrunI was hoping you could possibly tell me what frost badge piece I should buy next.. I have been sitting here with 95 Frost badges waiting to blow them on something, but am torn between what to buy!

Hope you can help and do you suggest since I am the only Disc priest gemming full Spell Power... We are on Sindragosa working our way towards LK. We currently run with Holy Paladin, Resto Druid, and Disc Priest.. is that a pretty good setup for Sindragosa and LK?

At the moment being it'd appear that your first slot-to-tend-to is a trinket. My advice to you would be to get your hands on Purified Lunar Dust (swapping out the one of your preference), followed by saving up Emblems to replace your chestpiece with Meteor Chaser's Raiment.

I wouldn't go so far as to push all-out Spell Power at your level of progression. A balanced mix is favored especially in ten-mans where your role isn't limited to non-stop Power Word: Shielding.

Your healer setup is very effective, though Sindragosa is a relatively Discipline-unfriendly encounter.

Post 14 Apr 2010 22:18

Thanks for the quick reply Jhaz. Do you think it would be more viable for me to go Holy offspec and heal Sindragosa as Holy? I will go pick up the Purified Lunar Dust immediately then if you feel its a better upgrade then the MCR Chest as of now.

Post 15 Apr 2010 04:47

Congratz on the hm kill on lk guys! I had a question for xenophics on his rotation. I use the cookie cutter cast sequence but still seem to have dps drops or very very slow rising dps when i get to a point and was wondering if you knew any tips to help me out. I usually get stuck at 9k and slowly start to rise upwards but if i miss anything i drop dramatically.

Post 15 Apr 2010 09:08

Hey, Gz on your LK HM kill =) question about 10man healing.
i'll been Reading all on this forum and what I seen/ read is that you never useing PoH?

1) like sindagrosa HM,
i don't find CoH PoM Close enough to Heal the raid in p3, only had about 5Trys on him yet, 3 in p3, Are you useing PoH or just renewing anyting together with CoH and PoM? could be far enough?
Team setup healers 1priest(me) 1paladin, 1 Shamy, some times 1 duird insted of the shamy.

2) Lich king hm,
never been on this yet but what i been seeing around the forurms is that a Dics priest is perf for this Fight? can't it be done with a holy priest?, don't think that infest gives the big of a Problem as you PoH/CoH the raid same sec and will get anyone on 100% again, ofc you will leave one behinde you can Flash heal up, or is it just one of the Fights you can't be holy? ;)

2) gemming as holy.
what i gem is Socket Bonus, SP/sprit Gems or SP/Int gems i just think i can ship all the gems in the Red socket and get pure SP in it?. mana is not a problem atm.

Thanks for your time :)