Priest discussion

Re: Priest discussion

Post 29 Apr 2010 11:54

Oh okay, hopefully your luck gets better then!

My guild has seen three regs... our luck was amazing with our first week of 25 hardmodes this week. H DBW and H DFO...it was awesome =]

Also, what do you think about Phylacrity > Heroic spyglass? There's lots of opinions about the constant spell power from spyglass =\= the proc off phylacrity, I just haven't been able to decide.

Thank you!!

Riia :)

Post 29 Apr 2010 12:47

User avatarxenophics

Riia wrote:Also, what do you think about Phylacrity > Heroic spyglass? There's lots of opinions about the constant spell power from spyglass =\= the proc off phylacrity

I'd go for Phylactery (especially the heroic version) because even if you aren't able to use the whole 20 seconds of the proc it's still a lot more dps on paper. We usually blow our Bloodlust in the beginning of the fight where you'll have your first proc on. You'll need to have really crappy luck with the procs for Spyglass to be better.

For the normal Phylactery I'd swap it for Spyglass on some movement heavy fights, like the Lich King.

Post 29 Apr 2010 12:58

Okie dokes, sounds good. Thanks again =)

Post 03 May 2010 06:50

Hello!

Just a quick question...

I'm just wondering if everything looks good in terms of gemming, enchants, etc.

I would love to know your opinions and suggestions!

I've been playing a priest for awhile now and I just wanna make sure I'm doing everything right so I can maximize my performance in raids. Thank you!

My Armory:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ia&cn=Sikk

Post 05 May 2010 04:52

Hey Guys! :)

First thing, gratz and thanks for answer questions that ppl do here, i think this is the differential between a good guild and the best one.
Some days ago i had a discussion with another disc priest of my guild about t10 bonus. Im using 4 pieces and my guildmate is not, because he said that just 5% is ridiculous, so he is using t10 dps shoulders and head, those gives more haste them the healers one. Ok, this gives him about 200 sp more than me and about 4% more crit. Want to know ur opinion about this. What do you think is more important: A bit more stats or t10 4 pieces bonus?
I know its quite a stupid question, but i think im right and so him.So, i decided to ask a real pro disc priest.

Thanks a lot!

Post 08 May 2010 22:11

Hello i got a question for Jhazrun.

Hello Jhazrun, what do you think is the best pve trinkets for a discipline priest ? some say that purified lunar dust and solace of the defeated (hc) is best but i am not sure.. can u give me some advice =) ?

Post 12 May 2010 13:52

User avatarJhazrun

My humblest apologies for the less-than-timely attention to the posts of Slugsy, Thadu, bobbo101, Sikk, and Talorine,

Slugsy wrote:We are currently working on LK 10man and sindragosa 25 man both normal. Anyways decided to try out disc for the obvious advantages it brings for lk fight etc but have never played disc before and every guide I find seems to be well outdated. Everyone keeps telling me spam shield if only it was that easy :).

I see you've recently found yourselves successful with the ten-man Lich King; 'Grats!

Discipline is quite unique in the way its complexity spirals to not much at all in the transition from ten-man to twenty-five-man content. I could imagine said sources having described the gameplay of the latter, which indeed involves little beyond Power Word: Shield blanketing. Note that Sindragosa is notoriously unfriendly to the spec, and prefers a swap to Holy.

While both types of encounters revolve around monitoring the statuses and timers of Shields and Weakened Soul, the insufficient number of targets in ten-man ones requires that you find something else to do while in the temporal dead zones. Most of the time this means either casting Penance and Flash Heal to support tank healing, or throwing a Prayer of Mending and/or a hasted Prayer of Healing if it's the raid your colleagues could use some help with.

What's absolutely golden for priests of both specs is sporting the proper tools to keep track of your three different buff-based heals.
My set-up of choice uses GridStatusHots, GridStatusPWShield, and GridIndicatorSideText to the following end (Grid display relevant):

With Power Word: Shield, Renew, Prayer of Mending.

Power Word: Shield cancelled.

Thadu wrote:I noticed you guys only bring you as disc to LK-25, and I was wondering how much of the raid can you keep infest off with shields as the only disc?
Also, would you guys consider it beneficial to specc the holy priest to disc for better infest coverage? If not, what benefits does the holy priest bring over another disc?

With low-to-moderate latency it is always possible to shield 20-21 individuals, courtesy of Infest's 20-second hard cooldown and two-second cast. This drops with each GCD one spends on Pain Suppression and emergency Penances, and increases for delayed Infests due to lower cast priority to Defile and the summons.

We don't believe the Infest-proofing of dual Discipline brings enough security to outweigh the dramatically lowered raid healing output during transitional and Frostmourne phases, for which Holy is a tremendous asset.

Our original lineup did include two priests as Discipline, but wound up with a Discipline-Holy pair (Was it DDH at the very earliest, or did Zhinn simply respec? Anyone remember?).

bobbo101 wrote:Is my intellect and gear enough to not go oom? (for example, my job on lich king 25 is to shield 15 members between infest)

What should I socket? What gems in what slots?

What do you think is the best pve trinkets for a discipline priest?

In theory Discipline can go on forever in phases one and two of the Lich King as long as one makes sure the multiple simultaneous triggers of Rapture aren't stifled by Shields on tanks or high enough Spell Power for Infest to fail to break a sufficient number of Shields on the raid to sustain the flow of mana.
In the latter scenario you need to rank down your Power Word: Shield so it falls just short of the average hit of an Infest.

My socketing recommendations can be found in Fabbin's quote, with the reminder that once HC LK-25 is all that stands in your way, the Rapture mechanics render non-SP gems pointless for Discipline.

Trinket-wise, even though I carry a vehement dislike for the cheating wretches Solace & Jr., the senior does land second-to-best-in-slot behind the Heroic Abacus.

The standings for high-level priest trinkets find themselves as follows, best-to-worst:

HC Althor's Abacus
HC Solace of the Fallen
Purified Lunar Dust
HC Sliver of Pure Ice
Althor's Abacus
Solace of the Fallen
Sliver of Pure Ice

Sikk wrote:I'm just wondering if everything looks good in terms of gemming, enchants, etc.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ia&cn=Sikk

Your equipment appears to be in mighty fine condition for your level. My next move would be to rid myself of Talisman in favor of the above-mentioned Dust.

Your Holy build is quite at home in ten-man raids, which I see you focus on. Many of the talents and glyphs no longer have a place in 25-man encounters, however, should you opt to pursue those.

The Discipline of yours, however, is in dire state of disrepair when it comes to a couple of mandatory picks; Glyph of Penance is something one should never leave Dalaran without (substitute for Glyph of Prayer of Healing), and the worthless points in Improved Renew are better off spent on the relatively powerful Focused Will.

Talorine wrote:Im using 4 pieces and my guildmate is not, because he said that just 5% is ridiculous, so he is using t10 dps shoulders and head, those gives more haste them the healers one. Ok, this gives him about 200 sp more than me and about 4% more crit.

How in the world is trading SPI for Haste at 1:1 pulling him ahead in the slightest in the stats you describe, let alone by those numbers? The only thing he has over you is the Haste.

Opting out of the healer T10 in favor of the Shadow pieces does scrape him a whisker's width of an advantage in strictly-Discipline, explicitly-ten-man raiding, but the moment you step into Holy for flexibility (an invaluable feature in priest healing), or set your aim higher into 25-man encounters, your friend will find himself hopelessly hamstrung with neither the proper stat distribution or the four-piece bonuses that all contribute directly into one's performance outside the narrow window of ten-man Disc.
Last edited by Jhazrun on 14 May 2010 16:29, edited 1 time in total.

Post 13 May 2010 06:19

Hello,Congratulations for your world first Lich King Hardmode.
I play an undead holy/discipline priest and at the moment I am a bit confused about my professions.And as noone had mentioned which could be the best choices or combo,I thought to make a post and ask you.

From the start of wotlk my main professions are Tailoring and Jewelcrafting.My guild's raid progress at the moment is 11/12 on hardmode icc 25 and full hardmode clear on 10 man icc.As i see many of our caster dpsers including mages and shadow priests uses engineering.As they use rocket boots and the extra haste enchant on gloves evey 1 min.These days I am thinking to drop tailor and take engineering instead.So I would like your opinion on this as I will lose the back spell power or mana regen enchant and I will take rocket boots/haste every one min and spell power enchant on cloak.So is engineering/JC good combo for a holy priest? is engineering/tailor better or my current combo tailor/jc is better rathen than the above?
I want to mention that I am always discipline on Lich King and I swap sometimes on some fights inside icc 10/25 from holy to discipline but most of the times I play as holy

Post 13 May 2010 07:30

User avatarJhazrun

Jhazrun greets Nelan with a hearty hello.

Nelan wrote:My main professions are Tailoring and Jewelcrafting. These days I am thinking to drop tailor and take engineering instead. Is engineering/JC good combo for a holy priest?

As far as PvE is concerned, Engineering has nothing whatsoever to offer to neither Holy nor Discipline. It is an extremely powerful PvP profession for just about everyone, but modern priest healing's high mobility and relatively low returns from Haste severely diminish the benefits of the Boosts and Accelerators in a raid environment.

Unless you see yourself decidedly pursuing competitive PvP in the near future, hold on to your combo present.

Post 13 May 2010 12:00

Hey again :]

Another q for Xenophics. What is your opinion on the troll haste buff for shadow? I went troll recently, but I don't know if berserking is really what it's made out to be.. I really like it for burst, but I don't know if its really -that- good or not.

If you get a chance please let me know ^.^

Thanks!