Notes from my Interview

Notes from my Interview

Post 02 Aug 2010 21:10

User avatarLadan

Hey guys!

I had so much fun chatting with Xaar, Tuutti, Xeno, and Ande two weeks ago. (I am doing a PhD on raiding guilds and culture.) Thanks again for taking so much time talking to me, all of you. Your current rank is well deserved IMO-and not just because of raiding skill. Tuutti talks too much, however. ;)

I have posted a few basic notes on our chat, so please feel free to read it. It's only a tiny portion of the topics we discussed but I thought you might be curious! Also, if you want, please (including anyone reading the forums) feel free to participate in my latest poll. It really helps me with my work.

http://www.raidingresearch.co.uk

Have fun at the assembly! I wish I could be there! Tell me when you're getting the calendar started, Xeno. I'll buy one. :)

Warm wishes,

Ladan

Re: Notes from my Interview

Post 02 Aug 2010 21:24

User avatarmeth

Thank you for sharing this. That is quite an interesting topic that you've picked there and some of the things you "extracted" from the interview equalled some thoughts and opinions about Paragon I had developed before.

All the best with the PhD and gaming!

Post 02 Aug 2010 21:28

User avatarxenophics

Ladan wrote:Tell me when you're getting the calendar started, Xeno. I'll buy one. :)

:DDDDD maybe if I get 10 people to order it I'll do it for real!

Anyway, I'm really happy I had the chance to chat with you and share my thoughts on the stuff we discussed. I'm looking forward to your completed/ready PhD and while waiting for it I'll keep refreshing that site of yours.

Let us know if there is a way to help you with your research or anything. I'll get the other poll we talked about going on after Assembly. Feel free to visit this site from time to time and keep in contact.

Post 02 Aug 2010 21:45

User avatarLadan

Thanks for the encouraging words! :) PhD research is kinda lonely, but I have to admit that the other researchers in my department go green with envy when they realise how raiders are often very interested in contributing their thoughts/ideas to my research. If anyone wants to contribute, please email me at [email protected] .

And who wouldn't love a calendar of those cute Finnish boys, Xeno! ;)

I'll look forward to chatting again after Assembly about that other idea we had. Hopefully we can get something together.

Stranded at an airport in America while trying to get home to England,

Ladan

Post 02 Aug 2010 22:14

User avatarzYN

I just read it, some of it is pretty interesting stuff.

I personally was collecting data on the personality types of members (or trials) in our old guild. It was voluntary, but I think roughly everyone filled it out. There was a pretty clear grouping on a few specific personality types when you looked at the people who were very skilled and reliable. Sample size wasn't huge, but it eventually grew into ~50-60 subjects.

I also had a bunch players (friends of mine mostly, which probably skews the results for those samples) who play other games at "top level" do the test. At this point, I wasn't so surprised about the results I got; the grouping for the few specific personality types was roughly the same.

It was pretty funny to watch a trial fill out the application and the optional personality type test result. I could, most of the time, predict whether or not that guy would be failing under pressure or quitting soon. Everyone was given a chance though and there were a couple of exceptions to the general "rule." Still, most of the time you could correctly predict whether or not them joining would work out.

Post 03 Aug 2010 14:41

Ladan wrote:Hey guys!

I had so much fun chatting with Xaar, Tuutti, Xeno, and Ande two weeks ago. (I am doing a PhD on raiding guilds and culture.) Thanks again for taking so much time talking to me, all of you. Your current rank is well deserved IMO-and not just because of raiding skill. Tuutti talks too much, however. ;)

I have posted a few basic notes on our chat, so please feel free to read it. It's only a tiny portion of the topics we discussed but I thought you might be curious! Also, if you want, please (including anyone reading the forums) feel free to participate in my latest poll. It really helps me with my work.

http://www.raidingresearch.co.uk

Have fun at the assembly! I wish I could be there! Tell me when you're getting the calendar started, Xeno. I'll buy one. :)

Warm wishes,

Ladan

Sounds very interesting. Let us know if you want to add some cross-cultural comparison into your dissertation
--Stars

Post 03 Aug 2010 19:12

User avatarLadan

@Synti: Would you be willing to share any of this data with me? This sounds fascinating and I did speak a bit with Xaar and Xeno about this during the interview.

@Leon: I would love to chat with Stars. I'm sending an email to you! Thanks. :)

Post 04 Aug 2010 00:12

User avatarzYN

I'm more than willing, but I've got none left at this point. My HDD blew up a bit over a month ago, I lost pretty much all of the stuff that was on it.

I'm fairly sure a lot of people would be willing to do a quick test like that though. It's hardly a big deal.

Post 11 Aug 2010 12:09

User avatarShaZ

Ladan wrote:http://www.raidingresearch.co.uk

I read the "Interviewing Paragon" post on your site and liked it. I just wish you posted the full interview... I bet it was very cool.

Grats and good luck. It seems to be a very original and interesting work you're doing.

zYN wrote: There was a pretty clear grouping on a few specific personality types when you looked at the people who were very skilled and reliable.

Even though you don't have the data itself, you could talk a little bit more about it, because it seems very interesting to understand a bit better what kind of people are equal to good/reliable players!