Holy or disc ?

Holy or disc ?

Post 30 Apr 2013 15:39

Just a quick question on regards to 10man, i'm healing with a holy paladin would holy as of the current changes be a more viable spec to go with?

Thanks for your time!

Re: Holy or disc ?

Post 01 May 2013 05:11

User avatarJhazrun

The two do different things and take five seconds to swap. Figuring out what you want for a situation is as much part of playing a priest as picking between flash heal and prayer of healing.

Post 01 May 2013 06:55

Can you describe a couple situations (not necessarily specific bosses) that would lead to you choosing to play Holy rather than Discipline?

I feel like I can put out more healing with Holy if constant raid damage is high. I also feel more comfortable with Holy if the raid will take unexpected damage (that can't be planned for with Spirit Shell) and we need more CD's like Divine Hymn. Would you agree or do you think Holy has different strengths?

Off topic when/how often do you use spirit shell? I only use it before big incoming damage like Thunder storm on Jin'rokh or Stomp on Tortos ect. I never used it once on Horridon or Council of Elders. When should I be using it and with what spells?

Thanks for any advice!

Post 01 May 2013 09:14

User avatarJhazrun

If you have an actual problem, I'm more than happy to help solve it.

Post 01 May 2013 16:05

My problem is I don't know as much about priests as you do and i'm trying to learn.

Edit: Sorry I'll rephrase

Problem 1: I don't know what situations are best to use Holy rather than Disc.

Problem 2: I don't know when to use Spirit Shell other than before predictable burst damage. It seems either Atonement is enough or I'm using Shield + Binding Heal.

Post 01 Jun 2013 10:40

User avatarJhazrun

Sorry, last month of semester. Didn't hang around forums much.

My point is that none of that seems to present a problem. You even acknowledge it yourself:

I don't know when to use Spirit Shell other than before predictable burst damage. It seems either Atonement is enough or I'm using Shield + Binding Heal.

It's like if you came in with a "problem" with your car, saying you get around with it just fine, but don't know how to make it fly.

What makes you think there's supposed to be some super secret way to use Spirit Shell in the first place? Can't it just be for, y'know... predictable burst damage?

Post 02 Jun 2013 17:26

That's fair. Any chance you could shed some light on when Holy would be more useful than disc?

Post 03 Jun 2013 06:58

User avatarJhazrun

Disci is more stable, but caps its throughput earlier. Typically the pattern is to run Disci until you can't handle the volume of damage.

Post 03 Jun 2013 15:41

Very helpful, thank you