Favorite Media Player?

Favorite Media Player?

Post 13 Aug 2010 17:00

User avatarUnshakable

I'm tired of iTunes... thinking about going back to Winamp... not sure. Just wanted to see what everyone's favorite media player is. Also, if you use Winamp, recommend some good plug-ins, skins, etc... it's been a while since I used it. Thanks!

Re: Favorite Media Player?

Post 13 Aug 2010 17:03

User avatarxenophics

I use iTunes but no one has ever have had anything positive to say about it. I like it tho.

Post 13 Aug 2010 17:14

foobar2k

Post 13 Aug 2010 17:52

User avatarUnshakable

Wow, foobar2000 looks amazing. I will have to try that one out. Thanks!

Post 13 Aug 2010 18:34

User avatarmeth

I am still using the old Winamp v5.24, when it was still nice, simple and not overloaded.

For videos it is VLC.

Post 13 Aug 2010 20:07

Using Foobar2000 aswell here! Used to prefer winamp, but it started to get really slow and bloated. Foobar is just so much faster & lighter in like...everything.

For example, adding all my songs in one playlist in winamp with reading the metadata from the files at the sametime would take like a 40 minutes. In Foobar...1 minute!

I haven't done any research how the files are loaded in both programs but Foobar does get the song titles right instantly when the songs are loaded to playlist, unlike winamp which at default adds the files fast to playlist but does not seem to take a look at the metadata. It only reads the metadata when you are seeing the files in playlist so titles are not right and you can't use jump to file correctly until you have scrolled over all songs and waited for winamp to read them...

I also love the Foobars super responsive -search. You can use any word that appears in metadata or filename and Foobar will filter the files containing those words, in a blink.

Foobar is very modular player. There are alot of plugins to add features and modifiy how it looks.

I have modded my Foobar quite a bit with plugins, but haven't arsed to try skin anything...yet.

For movies I use Media player classic with FFDshow codec pack.

Post 13 Aug 2010 20:44

maeil,
on your screen in the bottom left corner, there is a folder named "paragon intro cinematic"... what's this? :D

Using Winamp with good old classic skin (winamp 2 skin) and vlc for videos

Post 13 Aug 2010 22:28

User avatarmeth

After having read the posts about foobar here and also on a music forum I am active, I have downloaded and installed it tonight. I really like it so far. Will probably cause me to properly edit the mp3 tags of many mixes I have to bring them all into a nice order ;)

Post 13 Aug 2010 23:23

I'm using foobar for three years and still it's the best. It looks much easier than winamp, however it contains much more functionality than other. Also i think Amarok is great, but I'dont use Linux. Tried Foobar with different skins, but i found them annoying.

Post 14 Aug 2010 13:08

User avatarUnshakable

maeil wrote:I have modded my Foobar quite a bit with plugins, but haven't arsed to try skin anything...yet.

What plugins do you use? If you don't mind me asking. :-)