AMD Processors

AMD Processors

Post 19 Aug 2010 12:30

User avatarUnshakable

Just curious if anyone else uses AMD Processors. I currently use a Phenom II X4 955 BE and love it! I know Intel CPUs run cooler and "smoother" but I was on a budget when I built this last PC. I see a lot of WoW gamers using Intel and was just wondering who else shows some love for AMD.

Re: AMD Processors

Post 19 Aug 2010 12:41

Unshakable wrote:I know Intel CPUs run cooler and "smoother" but I was on a budget when I built this last PC.

Smoother? What?

Post 19 Aug 2010 13:33

User avatarUnshakable

Yeah, "smoother". I have heard that Intel processors don't have as many issues as AMD processors. I, personally, have never had a problem with either.

Post 20 Aug 2010 06:02

Unshakable wrote:Yeah, "smoother".

What I was trying to ask was "smoother in what way", since the claim doesn't make any sense in the obvious ways to read it.

Post 20 Aug 2010 10:12

User avatarUnshakable

Unshakable wrote:I have heard that Intel processors don't have as many issues as AMD processors.
This is what I meant by "smoother".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/smooth wrote:Smooth - free from hindrances or difficulties: (e.g. a smooth day at the office.)
Sorry for the confusion.

Post 20 Aug 2010 10:56

Unshakable wrote:
Unshakable wrote:I have heard that Intel processors don't have as many issues as AMD processors.
This is what I meant by "smoother".

And what issues might you be talking about? The only one I can think of was the TLB bug in some early Phenoms and that was a long time ago...

Post 20 Aug 2010 11:11

User avatarmeth

I have the feeling that someone who asked a very general question which was not backed up with a lot of in-depth knowledge and was hoping for a simple answer now encountered someone with in-depth knowledge and critical evaluating the question.

I'd just say that the dominance that Intel supposedly has on the CPU market these days stems from earlier times when Intel was highly dominant (as far as I can remember) + the fact that Intel is doing way more advertisement and marketing + they paid big manufacturers of PCs to use their CPUs + uninformed customers.

So the fact that most people are having an Intel CPU does not necessarily have to do with the fact that they are "better". Some really compare. Most just purchase.

Post 20 Aug 2010 14:31

User avatarzYN

I did read a bunch of reviews and browsed through several tests, I ended up getting i7-930. The old hardware I had suddenly had a good place to go to, so I decided to get some new stuff.

I have to say I'm extremely satisfied. 1.1v and it runs at 3.8GHz rock-solid - I was tbh expecting it to crash during an overnight Prime95 at the latest. At stock speeds it runs at less than 1v of current. I did try it briefly at 4.4GHz, but honestly the power consumption spikes up a lot compared to the very little benefit it gives. Maybe in the future.

I have to say AMD did offer a ton of nice alternatives if I had decided to go for slightly cheaper hardware. In that case I'm sure I would've gone for AMD.

(Planning on also getting a SLI-setup, as soon as I'm able to decide on a good 120Hz monitor.)

Post 20 Aug 2010 16:32

User avatarUnshakable

Niroth wrote:I have the feeling that someone who asked a very general question which was not backed up with a lot of in-depth knowledge and was hoping for a simple answer now encountered someone with in-depth knowledge and critical evaluating the question.
I love computers... but have so much to learn. I recently completed my first build and am now addicted. Like I said, I was on a budget and it came down to these 2 processors:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

Which would you have chosen? If you know of a better choice in that price range, please let me know. :-)

Again, sorry for the confusion. I see now that you wanted me to be more specific, my apologies. My goal was not to sound seasoned in this field as I defiantly am not.

Post 20 Aug 2010 16:42

User avatarzYN

I'd have picked AMD at that price range, definitely. Then again, I might have tried my luck with getting a dual-core Phenom and try to unlock the extra cores for even cheaper build.