FPS Improve.

FPS Improve.

Post 20 Aug 2010 22:56

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I have a question: how to increase FPS? I have a fairly weak PC chassis, so that I suffer from terrible lag in Dalaran at rush hour. FPS jumps from 5 to 10, and Google continually leads me to spam sites. So I removed almost all graphic effects, always choose addons with low memory consumption. Any tips?

[edit] It would be great if you tell me wtf means chassis (google translate, lol)

Re: FPS Improve.

Post 20 Aug 2010 23:08

User avatarmeth

1. You could also just say weak PC or weak PC system etc... chassis also work

2. With all gfx on lowest settings etc.. you'll prolly have not much room left to improve. The system might just be at its limits and only a new PC would give you improvement.

But post your hardware specifications so people can actually give advice on that too. I wouldn't count on a tip that only involves WoW settings to improvie your FPS.

Post 20 Aug 2010 23:56

Had the same problem, often the reason is that, that the FPS doesnt get low because of comp settings. Really often its just dust slowing your monitors inside the computer. Try opening your computer and clean the computer, but not ofc with water! Just get all the dust off the harddrive, monitors etc.

PS. Scan regulary and mainly, clean your computer like once a month or less

Post 21 Aug 2010 00:01

Currently i am plyaing with 1280x1024 resolution, all another setting are on minimum except model quiality - it is on medium.
I can't copypaste my settings now - major thunderstorm apparently occurred a problem with the voltage in the network, and my baby had burned, so now I'm using my laptop.
I had 1 DDR2 2048; AMD 1,73Mhz (lol), 256 Radeon x1600xt. However, I had about 800gb HDD, but only about 40gb free. I tried to clear it from thrash once, but almost everything on it is found necessary and useful. I have already increased the amount of virtual memory access, but it did not help.

[Edit] Draketh, I have cleared it recently with alcohol - no significant changes.

Post 21 Aug 2010 10:25

Try CCleaner, removes anything deemed useless. You can chose by yourself as well. Got a few more GB's after that :)

Post 21 Aug 2010 10:38

User avatarmeth

I approve of every hardware and software cleaning efforts, but reading the computer specs don't make me believe that you'll squeeze a lot more performance out of the machine. But I might be to pessimistic.

Post 21 Aug 2010 11:51

Quite a pity. But is there any software, which modifies the current priorities of memory allocation or something like that?

Post 23 Aug 2010 01:01

User avatarGeru

There is this program called Process Lasso that you can use to modify proirities and what not automaticly atlest I have found it useful. You can download it from: http://www.bitsum.com/prolasso.php

Post 23 Aug 2010 03:18

Big thanks to you, I'll test it tomorrow. Btw, recently I bought new power supply, as my previous died, so my comp started to launch, but BIOS wasn't loading. Today I moved my ram in another slot and i got my bios loading, kind of miracle!

Post 23 Aug 2010 08:02

The "information" here is amazing, so let's set a few things straight:

Free disk space makes absolutely no difference whatsoever in your framerates. It is a good idea to have some free space, but a few GB is plenty enough to avoid any real trouble. (Sidenote: With SSD drives this becomes slightly more complex and you do in fact want to keep more free space around to make wear leveling more efficient. But even that is not something that affects your framerates in games.)

While changing the process priority might help if you have a ton of background tasks running, it's generally a better idea to shut down those background tasks in the first place instead.

If you have "monitors" inside your computer, you might want to hit the person who built it with the nearest heavy blunt object. Cleaning dust from the fans and heatsinks is a good idea though - modern graphics cards and CPUs throttle down to lower speed if they overheat.

Now, with all the weird stuff out of the way, let's see what we can actually do to improve things. Some easy stuff to begin with:

First, remove all addons you can live without. Seriously. With a CPU that slow you really can't afford any extra stuff, and that means you run with only a bossmod and maybe Grid or somesuch if you're a healer. No dps meters, fancy chat mods or anything else that is not absolutely essential for being able to do your job. If you don't raid you might want to go completely without addons.

Second, exit all other programs while you play. Even if they're not using a whole lot of CPU they still use memory.

Third, check that you have reasonably recent graphics drivers - they do improve those every now and then, after all.

If those don't really improve things, you can try the macros from this thread. Ignore the "m2faster" stuff, that should be already fixed in the game itself I believe. Just try the 3 first macros and see if they help. I'm not sure if they still work with the most recent version of the game but I tested them on a very slow laptop a while ago and they really made a difference. The game becomes rather ugly though...

For advanced users who know what they're doing (DISCLAIMER: Not my fault if you mess up your computer!):

Stop and disable all unnecessary services, Windows has quite a lot of useless stuff running by default.

Overclock your CPU and graphics card.

Looking at the computer specs you posted I'd say you simply can't get very good performance, especially in Dalaran during the rush hour. The game simply isn't optimized for displaying a lot of player models in one area, especially on low end computers.