AMD Processors

Re: AMD Processors

Post 23 Aug 2010 08:27

Unshakable wrote:AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

Which would you have chosen? If you know of a better choice in that price range, please let me know. :-)

The choice isn't all that obvious. The AMD chip is very well priced, in fact I'd call it very cheap at that price - but to really shine it requires a threaded workload, which not all games (yet...) provide. The Intel chip is also much easier to overclock and has better motherboards available.

So, for overall performance and future games I'd probably pick the AMD, but for mainly playing WoW and the current generation of games I'd probably go for the Intel.

Although in reality I wouldn't ever be buying such a low end part, and if I for some reason was on a small budget I'd go for Core i5 - the price range starts a little higher but they provide incredible overclocking potential and overall value.

Post 26 Oct 2010 17:03

I just speced a new custom box myself, and I went with an I7 930 at a US price of $180. The problem with AMD is they don't off a chip in the same performance range as the I7's yet. Google tom's hardware and check it out.

They are the best bang for the buck, but I needed a fast CPU for other work I do, so...

Post 26 Oct 2010 17:20

crankitup6969 wrote:I just speced a new custom box myself, and I went with an I7 930 at a US price of $180. The problem with AMD is they don't off a chip in the same performance range as the I7's yet. Google tom's hardware and check it out.

They are the best bang for the buck, but I needed a fast CPU for other work I do, so...

Also you have to factor in the massive overclocking capabilities of the Intel CPUs. And the better chipsets and motherboards. I wouldn't get AMD right now, for any purpose, pretty much.

Post 26 Oct 2010 18:03

User avatarzYN

crankitup6969 wrote:I went with an I7 930 at a US price of $180.

WTF. I paid about triple for mine. GG Finland. 8[