Priest discussion

Re: Priest discussion

Post 19 Apr 2011 21:13

User avatarJhazrun
 
Posts: 390
I can't quite seem to track down your actual question.

You're not expected to find a for-Paladins-by-a-Paladin design comfortable in the slightest.

Re: Priest discussion

Post 20 Apr 2011 01:41

Avatar Afua
 
Posts: 49
I need tips on healing heroic Alakir.

We are a 10-man progresson guild currently at 8/13 (not completely terrible ^^). Now starting working on Alakir so any advice would be welcome.

I've done some research on World of Logs and it seems that some priests go for renew spam in phase 2, while others prefer PoH. The resulting numbers seem about equal which leads me to a conclusion that its merely a playstyle preference which path to take, right?

Secondly, the ever-lasting question of Inner Fire vs Inner Will (for phase 1). I've been using (talented of course) Inner Will so I could get out of trouble faster, but reduced incoming damage is also tempting. Which one would you recommend?

And at last, mana regen cooldowns.. I assume its best to keep the Fiend for phase 2 and use it togather with Hymn. I think its still possible to use it during Phase 1, but the risk is that it wouldnt be ready until after Phase 2 is over and you basically dont need mana after that. So, keep it for P2 or not? Any thoughts on this?

Re: Priest discussion

Post 20 Apr 2011 03:42

Avatar Eiram
 
Posts: 6
Eiram wrote:
Jhazrun wrote:Nothing appears out-of-order as far as I can tell. Phase II leaves you healing through Atonement while running PW:S and Penance on yourself, while phase III has you maintain Inspiration between charging Archangel for Electrocutes.

Regarding relative performance... take a moment to consider that you've found yourself in the very heart of a Paladin theme park.


@ Jahazrun
Is this only for 25-man??
As we started our first attempts last night on 10-man Nef, I (disc) was healing together with 1 holy priest and 1 shaman. I healed Nef tank, holy on Ony tank and shaman on raid duty for p1.
Then in p2 when we ended up on the pillars I stood with 1 fury warrior and 1 frost mage, there was no way in hell that I could have managed to heal them and myself in the rotation as you say should be done.
Or am I just that crappy ( i have played priest since vanilla, first SP and then holy since TBC and now Disc for the last 2 months or so)??
My PC isn't the best but still I manage all the other fights quite well...

Link to my armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostwhisper/eiram/simple
Link to WoL: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-y25jctkjpqpwwknl/sum/healingDone/

Hoping to get an answer and thanks :)


Well my question is, first is the healing through atonement in p2 mostly for 25-man or should I be able to do so in a 10-man aswell??
And secondly, am I doing anything wrong as I am having really hardtime keeping the people on my pillar alive in p2, not to mention the fact that i seem to go oom in that phase even though going in it with about 80% mana.

Re: Priest discussion

Post 20 Apr 2011 07:21

User avatarJhazrun
 
Posts: 390
Afua wrote:it seems that some priests go for renew spam in phase 2, while others prefer PoH.

Renew blanketing is an atrocious substitute for ProH. It serves its purpose equalizing low-health targets in tandem with on-cooldown CoH and ProM, but only to provide effective conditions for ProH's healing pattern.

Afua wrote:I've been using Inner Will so I could get out of trouble faster, but reduced incoming damage is also tempting.

Inner Fire isn't good for much in phase I, and the talent shifts the balance even further in Will's favor.

Afua wrote:I assume its best to keep the Fiend for phase 2 and use it togather with Hymn. I think its still possible to use it during Phase 1, but the risk is that it wouldnt be ready until after Phase 2 is over

Sounds to me like a case-by-case scenario to be evaluated in a live trial. I wouldn't know about your personal mana flow.

Re: Priest discussion

Post 20 Apr 2011 07:36

User avatarJhazrun
 
Posts: 390
Eiram wrote:Is the healing through atonement in p2 mostly for 25-man or should I be able to do so in a 10-man aswell?

My original reply was to a ten-man healer, though twenty-fives aren't much unlike.

Eiram wrote:Am I doing anything wrong as I am having really hardtime keeping the people on my pillar alive in p2, not to mention the fact that i seem to go oom in that phase.

The two are one and the same; Ten-man Discipline is left with PW:S, Penance, and Atonement BECAUSE the alternatives are unsustainable (Binding Heal), inconsistent (Greater Heal), or ineffective (ProH on three). Archangel, Power Infusion, and PW:Barrier should hopefully provide sufficient stabilization to take you through the phase.

Having said that, the encounter serves as a shameful warning against giving rein to a designer with a holy paladin main, so treat it as such.

Re: Priest discussion

Post 20 Apr 2011 18:59

Avatar Eiram
 
Posts: 6
Thank you so much for that answer Jhazrun, now I get it lol (felt like i was having a blond moment there for a while :P )
It explains alot but I will try healing through PW:S, Penance, and Atonement and see how I'll do next time we try the encounter.

Have an awsome easter and thanks once again :)

Re: Priest discussion

Post 17 May 2011 03:25

Avatar Afua
 
Posts: 49
Once again I come here seeking wisdom of Jhazrun (and other willing to answer priests) =) This time its the 10 man Heroic Nefarian.

Our setup isn't.. ideal. We didn't even have access to nature resistance last night. Healers are Holy priest (me), Disc priest and a tree, while tanks are DK (MT) and paladin (OT).

So, after our first night on this encounter the main problem we've discovered is lack of raid savers for crackles.

We've been doing 1 crackle in P1 and the rest in P3. The recent nerf to the cooldowns of Divide guardian and barrier hurts a lot and I was thinking of speccing into disc myself for the extra barrier.

Is it insane to have 2 discs in a ten man? Yes, probably, but an additionl barrier may be worth it, no?

But what confuses me is that in many videos of 10-man HC kills many priests go holy. I guess crackle doesn't one-shot people without raid cooldown used? Was it our lack of shaman/hunter (resist) that caused such problems?

Thank you =) We need to score a realm-first of this mocking dragon, like we did with AlAkir.

Re: Priest discussion

Post 17 May 2011 12:06

User avatarJhazrun
 
Posts: 390
Afua wrote:Is it insane to have 2 discs in a ten man?

Generally yes, but at Nefarian you never overlap your PW:Ss. Running Holy for the encounter would just be silly.

Re: Priest discussion

Post 02 Jun 2011 20:07

Avatar nyn
 
Posts: 2
hi Jhazrun! well my first post here!.

im holy atm for 10 man h our healing setup is rshammy/rdruid! we're 4/13 h ( ye we suck =() and today we're going for maloriak h.

should i go disc? attonoment spec or not?


haste or mastery?




sry for my bad english

Re: Priest discussion

Post 02 Jun 2011 22:57

User avatarJhazrun
 
Posts: 390
nyn wrote:today we're going for maloriak h.

should i go disc? attonoment spec or not?

haste or mastery?

Discipline with Haste. There's also no such thing as a non-Atonement spec.